Are 300ml Saline Implants Appropriate Size?

Hello, thank you for taking my question! I recently had B.A., 300ml mod profile saline left, 315ml on the right. My BWD was 11. It seems like my breasts have good projection, it's just that they seem saggy still. Could my plastic surgeon gone bigger? I know that BWD is key, it's just that I wanted more upper pole fullness.How can this be achieved without having a lift? I know the enemy of good is better, so I am reluctant to have another surgery. Your thoughts?

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Implants and a lift

+1

If the breasts needed to be lifted prior to augmentation, the implants almost never lift them enough.

Options for upper breast fullness not achieved with implants or lift

+1

Another option you could consider is thte use of fat grafting to the upper pole to achieve selective fullness without a lift or larger implants.

Re: Are my 300cc saline breast implants the right size?

+1

Without photos it is difficult to determine whether your perceived sagging is real or just part of the post operative healing process. Generally a 300cc prosthesis is a good choice since your base width is only 11.0cm. Pre-operatively, if you had a little bit of drooping (“first degree ptosis”) then a dual plane approach would have given you the superior fill you wished, and at the same time provided a slight rotation elevation of the nipple areola to prevent a drooping appearance. If it has been 3 or 4 months and mild drooping persists, then a small periareolar mastopexy could alleviate your problem with minimal scarring.

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

+1

It is very difficult to comment without photos.  But if you were sagging before the surgery, without a lift you will still be sagging.  You could have gone bigger, but you would have to go with a more projecting implant to keep the base diameter without your range.  A higher profile implant would also give you more upper pole fullness.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast lift with augmentation is an important combination

+1

This is tough question to answer without a photo- consider posting one. If you perceive your breasts to be 'saggy' pre-op, its likely you'll notice some sagging post-op. All an implant does is augment the upper pole of the breast. An implant will not 'lift' your nipple position. Geometrically, that is an impossibility. 

All hope is not lost- you can still have a very safe and good aesthetic outcome with a breast lift. Ask your plastic surgeon what he/she thinks you should do.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Answer to "are 300 ml saline implants too small"

+1

Very difficult to answer without seeing your before/after photos.  A 300 cc or ml. size increase is roughly about 2 cup sizes.  If you are not happy with your superior pole fullness it may be that you had some breast ptosis 'sagging" prior to your surgery.  Again, you are only several weeks out from surgery.  I would recommend at one of your post operative visits you talk with your surgeon again.  Best of luck to you. 

Amy K. Alderman, MD, MPH
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Implants too small?

+1

It's difficult to know without seeing you, but could it be that you need a breast lift?  If you need a breast lift, then no implant is a good substitute for having a breast lift.

If not, then maybe just a higher profile implant would help you get more upper pole fullness.  A higher profile implant would allow you to have a larger volume with more projection, but still keep the base diameter narrow enough to fit your chest width. 

Carmen Kavali, MD