Will 300ccs Really Be Too Small for Me? (photo)

Thanks for reading my question! I went in for my pre-op today and decided to go with 304cc implants. But, the nurse was concerned that I will be disappointed and suggested I go with 325cc (the largest that they could fit in me). My doctor said I am taking a 'modest approach'. Soo I am wondering if maybe I should go bigger, even tho the 300's looked huged to me when I tried on the sizers...Help! :) I am 5'7 110lbs, 32A, very active and would like the end result to be a full B/small C cup.

Implant choice

+4

You appear to be tall and thin, with very little extra tissue anywhere.  I'm sure a 300cc implant looks large - it may be all your tissues can handle safely.

Your model picture has obviously augmented breasts with implants that, while they look good in a swimsuit, may give her problems in the future due to their size in relation to the rest of her body.

Go with your gut.  A conservative decision is not a bad thing.

What size breast implant is appropriate for a 5’7’’ 110 lbs who has a size 32 A cup breast?

+2

Breast implant size depends on many factors, the most important being the base diameter of the breast. You are thin with little subcutaneous tissue. The larger implants could look artificial in your situation. I suggest you have another conversation with your plastic surgeon so that you are sure of the size before you proceed.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Picking the best size for you

+1

Recommending implant sizes for you depends on multiple factors.  Selecting an implant size is dependent on patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height) as well as patients' wishes.  It is hard to give you a recommendation without examining you. You should try some sizers and talk with your plastic surgeon.  Please remember that implant cc volume does not correlate with cup sizes. Also, try to look at pre and postop photos that reflect your body size and desired look.  Hope this is helpful.
Dr. Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Implant selection

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

If 304cc is "too small" for you, then 325cc will be "too small" also!

+1

21cc is one tablespoon plus one teaspoon! You cannot see this difference over an entire breast.

I would also take issue with the comment that 325cc is "the largest they could fit in me." This is patently incorrect. It could be one way of representing their opinion, but it in NO WAY is a true anatomic "limit" to what you could have if you, for example, wanted larger breasts. So really, if you wanted 450cc implants, your anatomy could easily accommodate them. But the size YOU want is the ideal size to choose.

325cc adds about 1 1/3 cup size to whatever breast volume you started with. At a stated A-cup in size pre-op, this should give you somewhere between a B and C-cup in post-op breast size. Trust me, when you try on sizers in a bra you are constantly pushing in on the implant to keep it in the confines of a brassiere, so the inevitable response is to try slightly smaller implant sizers to "fit." In your body, especially below the muscle (which is where your implants belong for the best result and least likelihood for capsular contracture), that same exact "looked huge" implant will be completely covered and smooshed down (there's a good medical word!). This makes everybody smaller than they thought they would be when sizing. Your surgeon's nurse is giving you good advice, but you should not be concerned about a 21cc difference. Go for the gusto and choose the 325cc implants . . .

or, try on implants closer to 350-400cc which may fit your breast base diameter better and give you closer to the look you showed in your goal photograph. For more information BEFORE you have surgery, click on the web reference link below to read my Comprehensive guide to breast augmentation. It contains information about sizing as well as everything else you should know about breast enlargement surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Are 300cc Breast IMmplants Big Enough?

+1

Based on your height and thin body frame, and your desired result, I question whether even 325cc will achieve your desired look. You have to remember that you are fairly tall and desire a full upper pole look, I suspect you are closer to 350cc to 400cc to get that look.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

300 cc too small?

+1

The difference you are worried about is less than 1/2 a shot glass. Though the amount is small, it will give you more fullness, but only slightly.  Many surgeons advise their patients to go with a larger size as they are often conservative when trying on sizers in the office.  Though an exam is critical, based on your measurements,  the 325 is certainly reasonable for your goal.  A patient of mine is a jeweler..."she says breast implants are like diamonds, the longer you have them, the smaller they seem."

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants For Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals. Based on your body type, careful communication of your goals will be very important;  I would suggest that you do not base this communication ( or your satisfaction with the results of surgery) on a specific cup size.  Goal pictures and an emphasis on achieving a “proportionate” (given your height and weight) result  may be helpful.

Given that you have already had your preoperative visit, I would suggest that you ask for another “consultation” to discuss your goals and concerns further. Your plastic surgeon will be the best person to advise you (as opposed to online consultants).  This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “full B, small C" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.