Does your height effect how implants will look?

Imagine you are presented with two women with the same build, ribcage measurement, and BWD. Both want 300cc silicone implants placed under the muscle. If the first woman is 5'10" and the second only 5'5", would one expect that their outcomes would look very similar? I ask this question because it is hard to find pictures of tall women like myself with breast implants sized 300cc and smaller. Everything else being equal, does the length of my legs really impact how my breasts will turn out?

Height and breast implant size.

+2

If both patients have the same rib cage dimensions and appearance of their breasts, there should be no difference just because of their height differential. Generally taller women are bigger and have larger chests then smaller women and wind up with larger implants. This is something you should discuss with your board-certified plastic surgeon during a consultation.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Height Alone Has Minimal Effect on Implant Appearance

+2

The most important variant in the selection of implants is your BWD.  Even if you are significantly taller, your result should be comparable if build, chest diameter, pre-op cup size, etc. are the same as photos that you have seen.  Having said that, I still feel that it is important to "try on implants" during a sizing session.

John Whitt, MD

Implant appearance

+2

I think that your body frame has more of an impact in relation to breast implant size/appearance than your height

David A. Lickstein, MD

A person's height affects the way their implants appear

+1

A person’s height does have an impact on the appearance of the size. A person who is taller is likely able to carry a larger implant without it overwhelming her frame. A 300cc implant may look smaller on a person that is 5’10 versus the person who is 5’5. The diameter of the person’s chest and shoulders, as well as current breast size are generally the determining factors when it comes down to choosing a size. Your doctor will be able to give you a range of implant sizes to achieve the appropriate breast size.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Height and implant look

+1

Your question is an excellent one and is like buying a dress that is size six on a woman who is 5ft 4in and the same dress on a woman who is 5ft 8in. It is the same size dress but looks completely different on the two individuals. The way an implant of a given size will look depends on many factors which is why it is important to try on implants during your consultation to determine which one is right for you and to take the guess work out.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast implants and patient height

+1

Because no one person is the same as another, implants placed in people the same height may look different. There are many factors that contribute to the result in breast augmentation:  height, weight, thickness of fat, amount and shape of your natural breast gland, natural breast diameter, droopiness, rib cage contour, nipple position, shoulders and bony structure, etc.

Looking at photos online helps you have an idea of what is possible, but most patients should not pick an implant size based on what they have seen.  A consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon will give you an idea of the range of sizes possible in your case.  Likewise, asking for a certain cup size is difficult to predict, and most surgeons will be able to approximate a "C cup" or a "D cup" or whatever you are expecting.  However, you should expect no guarantees.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

+1

100% agree that height is a factor in the final appearance of implants. Discuss with your chosen plastic surgeon to fully understand. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Height and weight will definitely effect the appearance of similar sized breast implants.

+1

Absolutely, the same breast implant size will appear diffierent on each individual and will vary tremendously according to height, weight and numerous other factors. Try to search databases with women's height and weight listed. it will definitely give you and appreciation for the differences in the appearance. See my articles for references on this.

Height affects breast size for sure

+1

There is no doubt that height affects breast size post augmentation.  The taller you are the smaller the result will look on you using the same implant as in a patient of shorter size.  Many other factors play in here but height generally swallows up implant volume.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Height is not really the primary determination for how your implants are going to look

+1

Height is not really the primary determination for how your implants are going to look. The biggest variables are how much breast tissue you have, how thin/lean you are and the quality and condition of your breast skin tissue (how stretched out you are from weight fluxuation or pregancy). 

In general, taller people will have a longer, wider trunk and will potentailly need a wider implant (breast base width) in order to achieve the same number cup size increase

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon