Are 300cc Silicone Breast Implants Too Big for a Petite, A Cup Woman?

Will getting 300cc high profile silicone breast implants be too big or fake-looking on my body? The implants will be under the muscle. My measurements are:

• height=5'2''
  • weight=110 lbs.
  • ribcage=31.5in.
  • BWD=10cm.
  • pre-BA=34A

I would like be a 34C. Also if this helps, my other measurements are: shoulders 17in.; waist 26in.; hips 35.5in. I was a 34A full when I was nursing 9 years ago. I have 1 child.

Silicone breast implant sizing and measurements

+5

There are many factors that go into sizing of implants-your desires, tissues and your measurements. The measurements are a guide and put the surgeon and the patient "in the ballpark" for what fits for your body. Also the measurements aren't always exact and reproducible amongst different surgeons doing the measuring.

The Allergan Style 20 High Profile 300 cc device has a base dimension of 10.9 cm. If your true breast base width is 10.0 cm then you can expect the 300 cc HP(10.9cm wide) to extend beyond the natural boundaries of your breast. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is "wrong", but it may come with some "trade-offs".

When implants are placed that are much too wide for the breast then you may feel or see the edge of the implant more easily. When high profile implants are placed that are much too wide there may be, depending on your tissues, and increased stretch which can contribute to the implants ending up too close together or disrupting the fold below the breast and the device ending up too low.

The quality and elasticity of your tissues is important if you are going to consider and implant that is wider than your true breast dimension. It may be worth seeing your surgeon again, getting re-measured, and if your base width is 10cm, discussing what the particular trade-offs for you may be.

Those are big implants

+4

If you are as small as you say, those are big implants. And by my taste,. high profile implants tend to look round and fake, and seem to cause an excessive amount of skin stretch, atrophy of breast tissue, and concavity of the rib cage over time. Of course that doesn't happen to everyone, but one cannot place highly projecting implants into tissue with impunity. There is a price to pay for stretching tissue beyond where it has ever been or is meant to go.

Assuming your base width is 10 cm, then the ideal starting size for you would be about 200cc. If you were loose or empty you would add some volume, and if you were tight or full it would be less than 200cc.

These numbers are based upon peer-reviewed and published data. It is data that has produced the best published results to date in terms of outcomes. If, on the other hand, achieving a certain size is more important to you than respecting your tissues, then you can go larger than that. But understand that there can be adverse consequences to your tissues.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Breast implant sizes.

+3

Hi!

1) Probably too big. May look fake.

2) Not your resposibility to pick breast implants. Surgeon should do this once he or she really understands the look you want.

3) Surgeon should place disposable breast implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery. That way, your surgeon can actually see the look that a particular implant size gives you before opening the permanent implants. No guess work.

4) Surgeon needs to have inventory of different size implants in operating room. That way, don't have to make final decision in advance.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choosing Implants To Compliment Your Frame

+2

It’s always difficult making decisions about breast size without performing a physical exam or seeing pre-operative pictures. In addition, the patients underlying anatomy and personal preference for size and shape must be considered.

Even when tremendous care is taken pre-operatively to determine breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the operating room by the surgeon. At this point, an assessment can be made by regarding how the patient’s breast tissue interacts with the breast implant. Occasionally, obtaining a specific size does not allow the surgeon to meet the patients other aesthetic goals. For this reason, locking into a specific size isn’t always a good idea. Results are often better when a surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the operating room.

In your case, I think it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic goals with your surgeon. Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the operating room, so he can meet your aesthetic goals. It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast implant size that you are considering, but don’t become married to an absolute number.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant sizing and Augmentation

+2

Dear @sweet

You ask a very good question. The answers that have been posted give you a large range of choice....that is the precise answer! Choice. The size you would like to achieve will have some trade offs associated with it. If the implant is larger than your breast envelope will adapt to easily the result may be more 'fake' looking breasts and tissue atrophy over time. My role is to guide you in the size but in the end I will try to accomodate your wishes as best that i can. A 300cc implant may be on the large side- and still may not achieve a 'C' cup- but you may 'love' the result. If that is the size that looks good in a T-shirt or a bra then that is the range we would work with and attempt to use. The most 'natural' results will be attained with a breast implant that is similar in diameter to your breasts - the vertical and horizontal dimension may be changed in some cases.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Choosing breast implant size for a petite woman

+1

Thank you for your question. 300 cc breast implants under the muscle can look perfectly nice on a patient your size. However objective measurements of your chest and breast should be taken and a formula used to estimate the best breast implant size for your particular body shape and size. In addition Breast Implant Sizing System implants can be used to place into your bra to give you an idea of how you will look. In addition there is a home test you can do in the privacy of your own home called the Rice test which is described in the link below.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

Thank you for sharing your measurements.  300cc may be too big for your frame.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection to replace an in office exam and good communication with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implant size selection

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

300cc Implants Are Probably Too Big for Petit Woman

+1

I am very particular about the size of implants that I use. I never exceed the base width of the breast and I also don't use high profile implants. I realize this is a conservative position to take but I cannot accept the risks of permanently damaging the breasts from too large an implant or an implant with too much profile. Thus, I think that those implants are too big for you. I would advise a much smaller mid profile gel implant that fits to your base diameter.

Michael Weinberg, MD