Will 300cc High Profile Silicone Be Too Wide for a Breast Tissue Width of 10.9cm?

I am 29 years old, 5'4", 112 lbs, no children. My breast tissue width is 10.9cm wide. I have some breast tissue but really not enough to fit in an A cup bra. I am also into fitness and run a lot. I am having trouble deciding between the 250cc and 300cc silicone implants. I really need to know if 300cc is pushing it too far. If the width of a 300cc high profile implant is 11.1cm then it is wider than my breast tissue of 10.9 but is it too much? Thank you!

Breast implant volume and width compared to breast width

+3

Your question is quite appropriate and shows an excellent understanding of the issues of fitting breast implants to a breast width rather than a breast size as well as knowing what effect that will have. 

The short answer to your question is that the implant you describe is too wide for your breast. However, it's not that simple. First I would have someone recheck the width of your breast across the center when you are upright and with your arms down. 10.9 cm is rather narrow for your weight unless you have a narrow chest like a 32-A.

The width (diameter) of the round gel or saline-filled implant should be about 3/4 to 1 cm less than the outer skin diameter of the breast to be sure it fits and looks right. If you are truly 10.9 cm in width across the breast then you need a high profile implant that is narrower than 10.9 or 11.1

The Allergan 300 cc high profile gel implant is 10.9 cm in diameter and the Mentor 300 cc high profile gel implant is 11.1 cm. The difference isn't much but if you want a better forward volume to width ratio I would use the Allergan. Unless your breast width is truly narrow for your chest, a high profile gel implant fitted to the width should make you look about two cup sizes larger. You can also be assured that it will fit and look right because it doesn't have to stretch or distort the breast dimensions like fitting a foot that is too big into too small a shoe. 

And it's not that an implant that is the same or wider diameter than the breast width can't work. The tissues may accommodate and adjust but you're taking more of a chance of distortion or an unnatural look. It's better to know the implant will fit and look right before it's put in. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizing

+2

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast implant sizing

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

High Profile implants for breast augmentation

+1

This is a relatively modestly larger than your breast diameter and most likely would be a reasonable option for your breast augmentation. Make sure to wear supportive bras during exercise. My patients often wear two jog bras at the same time.

Is the implant too wide?

+1

Based upon your chest wall diameter, I  would think that the breast width of the implant should be OK for you, but I couldn't be sure without an exam.

Breast Augmentation Surgery: Do Not Get Hung Up on the Numbers

+1

Breast augmentation surgery is a very predictable and satisfying operation if the patient is well informed and educated. The choice of breast implant size is a very individual  decision with multiple variables, including skin quality, chest size, height and weight. The breast implant range you have selected sounds appropriate, but do not get hung up on a 0.2 cm base width discrepancy (look at 0.2cm on a ruler!) because in general base width is a very arbitrary measurement and depending on your breast envelope stretch should not contribute to a noticeable difference. You likely would do well with the 300cc breast implant based on what information you have included.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Breast Implant and Chest/Breast Width

+1

I believe that when choosing a breast implant in relation to a patient's chest width one can error 1 cm larger or smaller than the natural breast width.  Your 300 cc implant based on your measurements should work out fine.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Width and Profile determine implant appearance

+1

If after a consultation in which we discussed the pros and cons of a low, moderate and high profile implant, you seemed to favor the higher profile, which it sounds like that is what happened at your consultation, an implant with a diameter of 11.1 cm would usually be fine on a patient with a 10.9 cm base breast width.  Although I understand your concerns being a runner, I think most patients in your situation would still be happy with the larger implant.  Obviously I can't really figure out what your reaction will be based on one paragraph, but in my experience, patients with concerns similar to yours -- and most patients do have the same concerns -- would still be happier with the larger implant of the 2 your describe.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon