Does Having Tubular Breasts Discount me for a Breast Augmentation?

Which Way to Go? I Am Just Under 300 Pounds and Just over 50 Years Old

I have finally decided to get a breast augmentation. The 2 surgeons I've seen have stated that because in their opinion my breasts are tubular they feel uncomfortable performing an augmentation. Am I not a candidate?

If I am a candidate what questions should I discuss with any future appointments and what could any additional procedures cost in addition? A ballpark would do and thank you for taking the time to read and answer this inquiry!

The real question is "why now?"

+4

Just being honest, I am surprised that the other doctors haven't really explored why you want this procedure given that you are over 50 and have had it since teenage and why at 300 pounds you think this will help your happiness with your body.  Doing it now just sets you up for further body image unhappiness.

The problem is that older patients and especially excessively thin or excessively overweight patients do not get great results and the tubular deformity is about the toughest starting point for a decent breast augmentation and lift.  Notice also how widely separated your breasts are as this makes getting cleavage extremely difficult.

So, what I am saying is that it will be very hard to give you a great result, certainly not possible at 300 pounds.  So, if you want to do this and love your body better, the best thing is to first lose the weight and then do the surgery.  If you have watched TV's Biggest Loser, you have sen that this can be done with diet and exercise coaching in a matter of months, not years.  Good luck!

Tuberous Breast Surgery - Los Angeles

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

In review of your photographs,  you have a diagnosis of tubular breasts( aka tuberous breasts), as my colleagues have suggested. Definitive improvement of the aesthetic look of your breast you will require not only a breast augmentation, but also soft-tissue rearrangement with constriction release and mastopexy through a circum-areolar incision. These procedures are generally staged. Occasionally and with an ideal anatomic profile, the procedures may be performed simultaneously with one surgery. Without examining you first-hand it is difficult to make that determination.

I recommend you consult with several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who have experience in tuberous breast reconstructive surgery. 

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Breast Augmentation for women with Tubular Breast Deformity

+3

Tubular breast deformity is not a contraindication for breast augmentation. To the contrary, breast augmentation is performed in order to correct this deformity. Because it is a deformity of the breast tissue your plastic surgeon needs to be experienced in dealing with correction of tubular breast deformity. There are many capable board certified plastic surgeons in Los Angeles who can help you with breast augmentation and correction of tubular breast deformity.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Breast enlargement for tubular breasts

+2

Tubular breasts may be difficult to correct but I usually perform a small uplift which rounds the bottom of the breasts as well as sometimes splay out the breast tissue of the lower breast to further help the shape. This will not give you perect breasts but usually a definite improvement. I would probably recommend a large sized implant because of your weight. Several alternatives are available. The implant surgery is about $4999 and the uplift part would be additional depending on what type is done. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery in the overweight patient

+2

In my opinion you cannot correct your breasts without a procedure that addresses the envelope of skin around the breast, the breast tissue itself which is tubular and then augmentation with different sized implants to give you better right left symmetry. My current policy though is not to do any major cosmetic surgery on patients who are more than 100 pounds above their ideal body weight until they have lost most of that excess weight. The risks of life threatening blood clots, skin infections, respiratory compromise from anesthesia etc. are too great to justify cosmetics as a primary goal of surgery. The hospital here will not even let such patients undergo surgery in the separate same day surgery building. They can only have surgery in the main operating rooms.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Breast implants and tuberous breasts

+2

You can have breast augmentation even though you appear to have tuberous breasts.  At the time of surgery there are some techniques that can help improve the shape of your breasts.  Your breasts will not look completely round, however, they will have a nicer shape due to the implants and the correction of the cone-shaped nature of the tuberous breast. 

The cost varies depending on the length of the surgery, which is usually about 1.5- 2hrs.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

You are not a good candidate for surgery

+2

I would suggest that you not seek breast augmentation. Because of your weight , you are at higher risk of complications from surgery and anesthesia. Your breast shape makes the surgery even more complicated and I would  delay the surgery till you have lost weight.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast does not prevent breast augmentation

+2

The contrary is true, a tuberous breast invites breast augmentation to correct the narrow breast base, and to reduce the prominence of the nipple which is characteristic. Augmentation of a breast that is tuberous in shape is not straightforward and some surgeons might turn you down, however seek additional opinions, and expect an additional scar around the nipple to lift and correct the nipple constriction.

peterejohnsonmd

+2

Thank you foe posting a question and photos. I would recommend before any staged breast surgery a weight loss plan or weight loss surgery. . This would be for your safe outcome from breast surgery.  Please address all your medical issues. 

Tubular breasts and augmentation

+2

Patient's with tubular breasts are usually not candidates for breast augmentation alone.  The underlying deformities of the breasts need to be addressed at the same time as augmentation.  The tubular deformities require internal release of the breast tissue and a breast lift.  When these are combined with augmentation a reasonable result may be achieved.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon