Could a 300 Lb Person Receive Lipo?

I weigh 300 lbs and almost all of my weight is the abdominal area. I am 25 and I dance ethevery day for exercise however the weight seems to make my stomach just hang lower and my skin looks like it has ripples in it...do you as a physician think lipo would be effective?

Liposuction is not the answer for obese patients...

+3

Liposuction is most effective in people who are at or very close to their ideal body weight.  Weight loss is best achieved through diet and exercise however some patients may require a consultation with a bariatric surgery before consulting with a plastic surgeon.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and obesity

+2

Hello Jessie -Here's the problem -

1. For liposuction to be effective for you, about 7 Liters of have need to be removed. This is a high risk liposuction done in hospital. 
  2. Unless you lose weight afterwards, all the fat will return in six months - discouraging and a waste of your money.
  3. If you are losing weight and your lower abdomen is hanging over, a 'panniculectomy' can surgically remove excess lower abdominal skin and fat. 
  4. At your current weight, the risk of an infection from any surgery is high. 

So this is why I generally recommend - weight loss first. Then corrective surgery.

Liposuction in Overweight Patients

+2

Liposuction is not a solution for patients who are overweight. Diet and exercise will likely be the best solution for you, and then you can address any residual issues with skin excision surgery. Also, fat that is inside the abdomen will only be improved with exercise and lifestyle changes. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Liposuction and obesity

+2

Liposuction is not a solution to treat obesity.  Good diet and exercise is important first and then if bothered by contour issues, a consult with a plastic surgeon may help.

Liposuction is not appropriate for an obese patient

+2

I really recommend that you try a weight loss program.  I am concerned, given what you note about rippling and hanging in the lower abdomen, that you already have laxity which would be worsened, not improved, by liposuction.  Liposuction is a body contouring procedure and removes a very small amount of weight. It could not possibly remove the amount that you hope for. See a board certified plastic surgeon who can better explain your options.  Best of luck.

Liposuction inquiry

+2

It is best to get close to your desired body weight before having liposuction.  Liposuction is body contour surgery, not weight reduction.  We find that Weight Watchers is a great program to help patient obtain their goals.  After you reach your disired weight, see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding body contouring.

Treatment of Obese Abdomen

+1

From your description, Liposuction is definitely not the answer. With “the weight [that] seems to make [your] stomach just hang lower and [your] skin looks like it has ripples in it,” you have, not only too much fat, but too much skin as well. The only way to reduce this is with a Tummy Tuck. However, before you can consider this, you need to lose weight from within the abdomen. You have already started well with the exercise. That is why your skin hangs and ripples. You no longer have the same amount of fat pushing it out. Now you just need to modify your diet. You need to do this slowly, a little each day and each time you shop. You need to reduce the total amount of what you eat and the amount of sugar in what you eat. You also need to change the carbohydrates to only 40% of what you eat and make the other equal amounts of protein and good fats. The carbohydrates also need to be as low on the Glycemic Index as possible and cooked or processed as little as possible. If you add this to your exercise program, the pounds should just melt away.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for 300lb person

+1

traditionally liposuction is not designed to treat overweight patients. Ocasionally I have found patients to lose weight and then proceed to lipo. It would be a two stage process, I would continue exercising and try to loose a little more weight before considering liposuction.