300cc Implants for a D or E Cup - Was I Misled?

I am 105 lbs,5 ft 3 inches and was a 32B bra. I had a lift and 300cc hp silicon implants as I had sag. My ps told me that this should take me to a D cup or an E cup.I am 2 weeks post op, and can notice that they are smaller due to loss with swelling going down. A few days ago I saw my ps and asked what sort of size after all swelling goes and drop, and he said maybe a C cup or a large B. I was a B before the op!! Is this little difference normal or was I misled before the op.

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size of implant and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saiine/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
If revisionary surgery is decided upon, it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast augmentation

+1
This is a common concern of my patients. How do we make sure you are satisfied with the size of your breasts after the surgery? The best way is be realistic in your expectations. Have the surgeon measure your frame and assess your chest wall. The base diameter of your breast is a good indicator of implant size that will fit. I use sizers in surgery to see what looks good right on the OR table. I don't think a 300 cc implant will give you a D cup size.

Jay H. Ross, MD
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon

Cup size and adding a 300cc implant

+1

Adding a 300cc implant to a smaller breast will result in an enlargement, of course.  However, the exact resultant size can vary significantly.  Typically a patient that wants a D cup will get a larger implant.  Trying on implants in a bra in the office can help the patient and the plastic surgeon communicate as to the anticipated result.  It does not translate exactly but can be instructive as to the anticipated result.  I consider the diameter of the implant to be more important than the volume.  Paying attention to the diameter is the best way to get the best, natural result.

Wishing you all the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

D Cup after Breast Augment?

+1

There is not a direct correlation between the size of the implant and the impact it will have on a patients cup size. It depends upon the size of the patient and the diameter of their rib cage. Based upon the measurements that you mention, I doubt if you will go from a B cup to a D cup with  300cc implants.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Picking the right implant size for you for your augmentation and lift.

+1

First, you are only 2 weeks after surgery.  Please give a few more weeks to assess your results and things settle down and your swelling resolves.   

During my preoperative appointments for my breast augmentation and breast augmentation and lift patients, I review two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning

2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and we can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Judging size for implants and post-op breast size

+1

There is no exact correlation between implant size and the ultimate size of breasts after breast augmentation. There are too many factors that come into play to be consistent. Every patient has a different size and shape to begin with, and every patient will look different with implants - even the SAME implants. 

In my practice I spend A LOT of time making sure that my patients get the best results possible and that they are the results my patients want. My process involves my patients choosing lots of photos and spending plenty of time talking about them before surgery. Then, during surgery I spend a lot more time than most surgeons making sure that we get the best match for that patients goals and her body. 

I host a weekly radio show about plastic surgery and we did a whole show on breast augmentation. You might find it interesting to listen to. Check out the link below...

I hope this info helps!

Adam Rubinstein, MD

You should be a D

+1

Sarah,

At your petite size 300cc on top of a B cup, even with a lift (which will take away some volume), should provide you with a D cup breast.  You will have to wait until all of the swelling subsides before you go bra shopping, but I think you will be there.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

300 cc D cup breast augmentation with lift

+1

It seems that 300 cc is too small to give a full D cup breast.   I would have to measure your chest wall and breast tissue characteristics to give you an accurate estimate of the appropriate size.    Depending on how large an implant you require, I will sometimes recommend staging the lift with augmentation.    

There is substantial risk to placing a large implant and performing a simultaneous lift.   The nipple/areola can lose blood supply and sensation, the weight of the implant can stretch out the breast lift incisions or cause a wound breakdown.

Therefore, I think you probably had a safe operation with minimal risk.  I would recommend waiting for your breast to fully settle.   Then, discuss the option of placing a larger implant in a second stage procedure.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery. 

Paul S. Gill, MD

+1

For your starting size, a 300cc implant should bring you up a cup siz, maybe a cup and a half.  With the lift, sometimes because of the tightening of the skin, it may give the appearance that your breasts are a bit smaller to begin with, thus I would expect about a cup size larger than what you started with.  Talk to your surgeon about the mis-understanding.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

300 cc implants placed in a B cup breast will result in C/C+

+1

Based on your starting breast size (B cup), adding a 300 cc implants will result in slightly more than a full cup size increase, making you a full C.  I cannot say if you were "misled" by your surgeon. Clearly though, there was miscommunication. In my practice, I spend a lot of time with my patients sizing them. They are all given implants to place in a sizing bra so they can try them on with clothes. Sometimes, they are given impants to borrow for a few days so they can "test drive" the new size.  I am very careful with this because the most common reason for revisional surgery after breast implants is because the patient desires a different sixe (usually bigger).

Matthew Schulman, MD