Going from 300CC to 375CC. Do You Have to Create a New Pocket for a Larger Size Implant?

I'm5'2 95lbs currently 300, I want to increase to 375. i was told that for the second surgery there is no need to increase the pocket size. But i know that the diameter is slightly larger about .7 cm of a difference. I love the fall/movement of my breast now as they look very natural. I still want that natural movement, if he doesn't increase the size of my pockets will my new implants fit properly like the 300, wont there be less room for the 375?

Changing breast implant size and having too much surgery

+4

Pocket size is not an issue with this small a difference in implant size. The better question is why do you now find 300cc to be insufficient & why do you think 375cc will be that much better? I do not think the difference will even be a full cup size greater. Plastic surgery is not like tailoring clothes where you can let something out or take something in and the cloth stays the way you cut it. Unlike cloth skin can stretch and tissues under the skin can be compressed by implants. Therefore increasing the implant size by 75cc does not mean you will exactly see a 75cc difference from the outside. The difference you see from the outside will also depend on the characteristics of the breast tissue (percentage of gland vs. fat) and the breast skin. Every time you make incisions you stimulate scar tissue and my recommendation is to forgo additional breast surgery just because you want small changes in the breast size. It is these continual demands for small changes that start you down the path that Michael Jackson went with his nose. I doubt he started out with the goal of what he ended up with. It is the striving for repeated small changes that starts the downfall of a plastic surgery patient. All breast implant patients will need more surgery later in life it is my belief that the surgeon should try and make the time intervals between those operations as long as possible i.e. place the patient's interests above their own.

300 - 375 cc should not require too much extra surgery

+2

A 75 cc difference should not warrant further pocket dissection. Unlike prior to having any breast implant in place, your tissues are now stretched by the 300 cc implant. There should not be a great deal of complexity to exchanging your implant size.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Breast Augmentation Revision?

+2

Thank you for the question.  With a change of 75 mL of implant volume, assuming you're happy with the existing breast  shape etc.,  is unlikely that much (if any)  breast implant pocket manipulation will be necessary.

Before you undergo revisionary surgery it will be important to communicate your overall goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible .
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

I hope this if helps.

Breast implant revmove and replace

+1

In many instances subtle expansion of the pocket can be achieved using a capsulotomy technique. I most intances the pocket is larger than the implant and the larger implant will fit nicely into the small inplant poocket!

Breast Exchange - Will my pocket NEED to be made larger for the new implant?

+1

Regarding:  "Going from 300CC to 375CC. Do You Have to Create a New Pocket for a Larger Size Implant?
I'm5'2 95lbs currently 300, I want to increase to 375. i was told that for the second surgery there is no need to increase the pocket size. But i know that the diameter is slightly larger about .7 cm of a difference. I love the fall/movement of my breast now as they look very natural. I still want that natural movement, if he doesn't increase the size of my pockets will my new implants fit properly like the 300, wont there be less room for the 375
?"

Strictly speaking, yes, you may be right. If the new implant is larger, the pocket housing the larger breast implants should be enlarged to fit the new and larger breast implant.  But, 0.7cm is a very small amount (0.275 inches, 0.0023 feet, 0.367 finger breadth) which MAY be inconsequential. The best way to do it is exchange the implants, sit you upright in the operating room and visually inspect how the breasts look. IF the pockets needs to be enlarged it can be done easily and accurately at that time AND you will not have anywhere close to the discomfort you had with your original surgery.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Pocket Adjustment Often Not Necessary

+1

Based on the size of your current implants, and the size you are going up, it is not surprising that your surgeon does not need to manipulate the pockets at all.  75cc is not that large of an increase, nor is the width difference between the two.  If your current implants are soft, the breasts are soft, and farily mobile ( they feel and act pretty natural), then there should be room without a problem.  The pocket will stretch to accomodate the new implant over time.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Going with Larger Breast Implant

+1

It really depends on what you have now and how long ago you have your surgery.  The longer time from your first surgery, the less that needs to be done for your going larger surgery.

If the pocket needs to be widened then it is done and the capsule is incised.  The pain is nothing compared to the first surgery your had, assuming the implant are behind the muscle.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Enlarging implant pocket

+1

The pocket can be increased slightly by opening up the capsule, or band of scar tissue, which surrounds your current implant.  This should accomodate the new size of your implant easily.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS