I Had Dysport Injections 5 Months Into Pregnancy, Should I Be Worried?

I'm 30 and just received my first injection of Dysport. I don't have wrinkles (YET) haha but I did hate the way my eyes crinkled when I smiled...I always noticed this in photos...Well the 40 units did a great job, but I am wondering if I should get injections for the "11" lines as a preventive measure. Also, I recieved the injections 21 weeks into my pregnancy (I am now 23 weeks)...I have read Dysport is not safe during pregnancy...Now i'm worried.. Any and all answers to both questions would be greatly appreciated!!

Dysport during pregnancy

+1

While very few physicians would inject a patient knowingly who was pregnant with botulinum toxin, it has been done, and there are yet to be any adverse reports. Always best to check with Motherisk at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto whenever a medication is being considered or has been given during pregnancy or nursing; they recently reported a review showing no issues when botulinum toxin was used during pregnancy (typically inadvertently). ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport Use During Pregnancy

+1

Dysport is contraindicated during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.  There have been no controlled human studies to determine if use is safe during pregnancy.  As mentioned above, no reputable provider would inject a pregnant or lactating patient.  Neurotoxins work beautifully on crow's feet and frown lines, I strongly recommend waiting until after your pregnancy and you are finished breastfeeding.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/dysport-injections-more-info.aspx

Dysport - I Had Dysport Injections 5 Months Into Pregnancy, Should I Be Worried?

+1

I am unaware of any documented risks associated with the injection of a neurotoxin, such as Botox or Dysport.  Both are highly effective forms of botulinum toxin A (Botox is onabotulinumtoxinA while Dysport is abobotulinumtoxinA).  Some people have described an earlier and more even onset with Dysport vs Botox and I've seen that anecdotally, but I haven't seen any studies that document that.

However, I would not advise the injection of any neurotoxin (or, really, any elective procedure or treatment) during a pregnancy unless there is a proven track record, significant concern, etc.  There are simply too many questions concerning ANYTHING during pregnancy, however unlikely the problems could be.

So - I don't know of any concerns - but I wouldn't try that again...

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Neurotoxins during pregnancy

+1

Neurotoxins are contraindicated during pregnancy.  However, sometimes people have injecitons before they know they are pregnant.  There is no evidence that there will be any harm, but it is always better to be safe.  So, if you know you are pregnant, it is recommended not to have injecitons.  If you have already had injecitons, don't stay up at night worrying.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

The safety of botulinum toxin (Dysport and BOTOX) have not been evaluated for pregnancy.

+1

Bottom line.  Don't get these treatments for elective purposes while pregnant.  There are now a lot of threads on this topic.  Only you and your obstetrician can assess the concerns for you.  However there is a small study that followed women who for one reason or another where treated during pregnancy with no adverse effects.  No that does not mean you should get retreated during pregnancy.  We have no evidence that this practice is in fact safe.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Dysport and Botox can help with wrinkles around the eyes, forehead and frown

+1

However, we do not recommend the injections when you are pregnant.  Because they cannot do the research on pregnant patients to prove that it is safe, the FDA does not recommend it.  There are no direct causal links to birth defects, but it's always safest to wait until you have delivered and are done breast feeding before receiving any more injections.  Best to you.

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

The safety of Dysport during pregnancy

+1

There are no reports (SO FAR) of adverse effects of injection of a neurotoxin such as Dysport or Botox during pregnancy. However, no reputable physician should knowingly inject a neurotoxin into a pregnant patient. Please wait until after you are finished breast feeding your baby to consider any further injections.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com/cosmetic-dermatology/botox-dysport/

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport During Pregnancy

+1

As far as I know, there are no reports of any adverse effects of Dysport during pregnancy, HOWEVER, it is absolutely NOT RECOMMENDED for use during pregnancy.  So please do not consider having any more injections until you have delivered your baby and are not nursing. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Dysport during pregnancy

+1

It is recommended not to use any neurotoxin during pregnancy.

Check with your OB Doctor and the injecting person. Did you tell them you were pregnant?