I'm 30 Years Old and I Can't Even Smile Because when I Do My Nose Hooks Down and Gets Wide?

Hi, I'm a 30 year old hispanic and I'm a little unhappy with my nose. I can't even smile, because when I do, my nose hooks all the way down and gets wide. I believe there's no cartilage there supporting my tip. If you can imagine Bill Cosby when he smiles... it's a little similar to that though not as bulbous. I want to smile and show some teeth, but I can't without having my nose look all funny. Is this an easy fix?

Rhinoplasty for droopy tip

+1

Rhinoplasty for a droopy tip involves creating more structural support for the tip such as suturing the tip cartilages together, a cartilaginous tip strut, and releasing the depressor septi ligament of the nose which pulls the tip down upon animation. The remainder of the nose will need to be performed as well so that the whole nose will balance with itself. Please see  our photo gallery below for examples of rhinoplasty

Droopy nasal tip when smiling

+1

It sounds like you have no tip support and need a rhinoplasty to rotate and project your nasal tip. A non-surgical approach would be to have Botox injected into the muscle pulling your tip down when smiling

I would do the surgery

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

30 year old and rhinoplasty

+1

If you are unhappy with your nasal appearance it is best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

+1

Tip drooping is something I treat almost every day.  There are a variety of techniques to treat animation issues like you describe as well as treating the droop in the static or relaxed state.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty in the Hispanic nose with lack of tip projection.

+1

Rhinoplasty in the Hispanic nose with lack of tip projection is very common. The tip usually needs cartilage from your serum to project and strengthen the tip. Your base may need to be narrowed as well. Send good photos as per my website. 

This is a common problem

+1

The nasal tip diving down when smiling is common, luckily these issues may be addressed surgically. Look for a plastic surgeon who specializes in performing rhinoplasty. He/she will guide you. Always check their credentials.

Andres Sarraga, MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Wide Nose With Hook When Smiling

+1

Weak cartilage is a common finding in many Hispanic people. This is not easy to correct but it can be fixed by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. Frequently cartilage grafts are necessary to give strength and support to the nose.

Cosby nose?

+1

There are a number of factors that can cause the nose to droop and widen when smiling. Tip support is one if these but the attachment, strength and direction of pull if many of the facial muscles all play a role. Luckily these can be addressed surgically. 

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon