Can a 30 Min Tummy Tuck Revision Fix This?

I had mini tummy tuck 5 months ago. I still have a bulge above the scar, have dog ears and the scar is higher on one side than the other. Does this happen often? My Surgeon said at the 6 week appointment that I needed to have a revision in his office and that would only take about 30min. And that lipo may not be necessary. Please help! Are all my concerns valid? Can they be fixed in a 30 min revision? THANKS SO MUCH!

30 minute mini tummy tuck

+1

I cannot comment about the time it takes to revise as everyone is different. I would lower the scar into a panty line, and do a full tummy tuck. Either some additional abdominal tightening or liposuction. Mini tuck=mini results if the appropriate pt is not selected.

Limited incison abdominoplasty yields limited results - expectations not met

+1

The biggest problem with mini-abdominoplasty is that it gets mini results and often leaves the abdomen disproportionate.   Rarely is there a bulge only below the umbilicus, when the bulge below the umbilicus is repair it makes the area above look even more prominent.  When you remove the skin of the lower abdomen it is done as an ellipse.  One edge is longer than the other thus accounting for the dog ear or pleat at each end, we call this a dog ear.  It is corrected by carrying the incision out further laterally.  Your scar also appears to be high and should be lowered for a more aesthetic result.

It looks like you need a full tummy tuck

+1

I rarely do mini-tummy tucks because so few women are actually great candidates for a "mini" procedure.  It looks to me like you still have some loose skin and you have muscle separation.  You need a full tummy tuck.  Many people want a mini-tummy tuck because they think it will leave them with a "mini" scar.  But that's not true.  The scar on the lower abdomen needs to be as long as it needs to be to avoid the dogears that you now have.  Your scar will need to be lengthened to remove those dogears.  Before you tinker with revisions of a mini procedure, you might consider a second opinion consultation with a surgeon who is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and does a lot of body contouring procedures.

Mini tummy tuck can achieve limited goals and will require revision

+1

It appears that you have had a mini tummy tuck. The fullness can be due to loose skin and/or localized fat. Your revision will likely extending the scar laterally as well as inferiorly to eliminate the extra skin and lower the scar. It may or may not treat the fullness with liposuction. Be quite clear with your surgeon on what is to be accomplished with the surgery and you should be pleased. Also understand and expect that additional fees may be requested if you are requesting goals beyond the extent of the original procedure.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Interesting.

+1

An asymmetric scar is not uncommon due to many factors, so unless the asymmetry is sigificant and bothersome, it is usually better left alone.   Dog ears happen, though less so in mini-abdominoplasty.

I am leary that a quality revision can be done so quickly- I place value on getting the job done correctly, not quickly.

It is hard to tell for sure what is going on with you, but it at least looks like you need liposuction centrally, if not a conversion to a full abdominoplasty to tighten lax abdominal wall elements.  At six months, the tissue may not be ready for more surgery yet, but only exam can tell.

Perhaps a second opinion is in order.

sek

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

It is very difficult to tell what I am looking at especially the bulge that you complain about.  As far as the scar goes, yes some revision can be done in the office to improve on it.  I generally would recommend to wait about 4 months to see how things look then.  After the 4 months you may be happy with the way the scar looks.

Hope that helps.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-tummy-tuck-newport-beach.php

Tummy tuck scar revision

+1

Yuyi,

It is possible to do a tummy tuck scar revision in 30 minutes in the office.  Looking at your picture I suspect that your surgeon will do the dog ear revisions.  The fact that the scar is higher on one side than the other may be corrected during the dog ear repair, but you need to understand it is impossible to obtain perfect symmetry and there will always be a very slight difference between the two sides.  That is normal and you should not be too worried about it.  Once the scars settle and fade more, you probably will not be bothered by the slight asymmetry.

With regards to the bulge, it is difficult to assess on this picture.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD