Working Out After BA?

Which specific excerises are absolute NO GOs afters having a BA? I see women at the gym who clearly have BAs and they tend to workout normaly,however how long is the safest amount of time to go back?

Hi There,

Here’s a link to some questions that may help you with your research:

Advice for Exercise After Breast Augmentation?

What Activities Are Restricted After Breast Reduction Surgery?

RealSelf Team.

Four weeks after breast augmentation full athletic activity is permitted.

+1

In my practice, provided there are no postoperative problems, patients are allowed to return to full athletic activity. Naturally they should wear a good support for all at this time.

Exercise after breast augmentation

+1

If the breast implants are placed under the muscle, I typically advise my patients to refrain from exercise that overdevelops the pectoralis muscles.  These mostly consist of pressing exercises like bench press, push-ups, and the like.  While they don't necessarily have to eliminate them from the regimen, I believe that the stronger the pectoralis muscle becomes, the more it tends to repeatedly push the implant downward and outward, and this can have a tendency to stretch the capsule in that direction too, allowing the implants to displace that way.  If the implants are above the muscle, there is really no limitation on the type of exercise that I suggest.  Always check with your surgeon first before beginning exercise.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Working Out After BA?

+1

In general, 6 weeks provides enough time to form a scar that is strong enough to withstand trauma.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Exercise after augmentation

+1

First, you need to check with your surgeon. That's who you should listen to. In general I allow my patients to start non-impact aerobic exercise at 3 weeks and impact aerobics at six weeks. I do not allow them to lift arm weights until between 6 weeks and 3 months.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Exercise After Breast Augmentation

+1

In general, most patients return to the gym in 2 to 3 weeks after surgery.  Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon regarding your progress in regards to exercise.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Exercise after Breast Augmentation?

+1

It is commendable that you wish to return to exercise as soon as possible after surgery. Your plastic surgeon alone should be your resource when it comes to determining the return to specific activities after the specific procedures performed.
He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Remember, that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care. Online consultants' advise here may be confusing (and even dangerous).

In my opinion, specific exercises that target the pectoralis major muscle ( such as push-ups and bench press) should be avoided for approximately one year after the procedure is performed;  this recommendation  may not be what is provided to you by your plastic surgeon.

Working out after breast augmentation

+1

In general I recommend that my patients return to work 48 hours after breast augmentation, return to the gym for cardio at 3 weeks and for weights, yoga, core strengthening at 6 weeks.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Excercise after breast augmentation

+1

I would talk to your plastic surgeon about the exact regimen that he would like his patients to follow. I say this because only you and your surgeon know what was done such as was a lift involved, your particular medical issues, and so on. For a breast augmentation alone I tell my patients no aerobic exercise (such as jogging, or riding a bicycle) for a period of 2 weeks and no lifting greater than 5 pounds for a period of 6 weeks. Lifting greater than 5 pounds can make it more likely for the implants to ride up higher and lead to malposition. If everything has gone well after the 6 week follow-up I clear my patients to resume their normal activities including any work outs.

Khurram Rashid, MD
Peoria Plastic Surgeon

3 WEEKS byVillar

+1

At three weeks you should be able to have unrestricted activity, assuming you have not had any post operative complications. If your implants are under the muscle, avoid being too aggressive with pectoralis exercises.

Luis Villar, MD

No restrictions after fully healed

+1

I don't give any long term restrictions after fully healed after BA (3 months). Although excessive chest work can theoretically push implants down and out, most woman don't work their chests out to that degree. Many of my patients do way too much, way too early, and i constantly ang them about holding back. After 2 weeks you will look and feel great, but  remind them BA is an "investment" they spent a lot of money on, took time off of work/childcare for, and fixing problems is very challenging, expensive and tends not to look as good as the first go around.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon