3 Years Post Op, I Can Feel my Breast Implant?

I have saline implants. Recently, after loosing 6% body fat, when I touch the underneath of my right breast I can feel the edge and bag , and the ripples, especially when I am bending down. I can push in, on the bag, its softer. In my chest I can actually feel it shift when I move. Its like there is nothing separating the implant and my skin. I started of with very little breast tissue, after losing weight there is even less. Is something wrong and can it increase the chances of it deflating?

It's normal to feel a breast implant after surgery

+2

All breast implants are palpable.  That is simply a fact.  Even though breast implants can be soft, they do not feel exactly the same as a real breast.  And that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  A breast implant improves the firmness of a breast and that is often desirable.  A youthful breast is firm.  But implants can still be felt.  Saline implants however are a little more palpable than silicone.  The shell of a saline implant is a little thicker and therefore easier to feel.  If you don't have much breast tissue to start with then the saline implant is very easy to feel.  This is nothing to worry about, it simply is a part of having breast implants.  You may want to consider switching to silicone if it really bothers you.  Silicone is certainly less artificial feeling and mimics a natural breast.  Discuss your concern with a board-certified plastic surgeon and learn more about what your options are.  Good luck.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Palpable Implant After Weight Loss

+2

Implants are frequently palpable, especially along the lower edge. THis is where there is less tissue covering the implant. This is not abnormal. After losing weight you are more likely to feel your implants as you have reduced the amount of tissue available to cover the implant. In addition since there is less tissue in your breast the skin is looser and the implant may feel slightly softer and move more easily. None of these things will increase the likelihood of rupture or deflation.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon

Implant palpability

+1

The ability to feel your implant will depend upon your soft tissue coverage. Many patients will feel their implants in the lower pole.

Breast implants

+1

You are feeling your implants because you have lost weight, and have less coverage of the implant. It should not cause problems, but if it bothers you, switching to silicone may help.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

+1

The less tissue of your own that is covering the implant, the more likely you are to be able to feel the implant and it's ripples. What you describe is not a sign of anything wrong, nor do you have added risk of implant deflation.

If the ripples and soft feeling of the implant bother you, switching to silicone gel is likely to give you an implant that feels more natural, with fewer ripples. 

Thank you for your question, all the best. 

Implant Palpability in Saline Implants

+1

Your complaint is a very common complaint of thin patients with saline implants.  All implants have some rippling, but it is significantly more with saline implants.  This is the number one reason I strongly encourage thin women to choose silicone gel implants.  The newest "gummy bear" implants tend to have very little if any rippling.  If all you need is an implant exchange, it is usually a straightforward, short operation.  You can go to work the next day and will take little or pain medication.  Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Implant Palpability

+1

After weight loss, the size of the breast envelope usually deflates as you have realized.  The implant will be more palpable with less tissue present.  This will not increase the risk of rupture.