3 Wks Po (TT, MR, Lipo), is It Normal to Have a "Line" Going Up Middle of Scar? (photo)

i don't see the "line" in other people's photos. my surgeon said it is my old belly button and the line would go away with time.

Vertical line above the TT incision

+2

This is a great question, and one you need to review with your surgeon. I always tell my patients that a small vertical line could be necessary if there is not enough skin to pull down in order to completely remove your old belly button hole. That line is where the old umbilicus was located and this scar will fade with time.  I usually offer patients to excise this scar in the future, after everything has healed. Hope this helps.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

3 Wks Po (TT, MR, Lipo), is It Normal to Have a "Line" Going Up Middle of Scar?

+2

This is an issue that you need to address with your surgeon. As in my practice I ALWAYS say there is a possibility of the vertical scar in the TT. 

Tummy Tuck with Small Vertical Line

+2

The tummy tuck can remove all of the skin to the level of the belly button in almost every case.  However, if you had very little skin laxity before surgery and/or a high belly button, the small vertical line may have been necessary to prevent having a high tummy tuck scar.

Sometimes short vertical scar necessary in tummy tuck.

+2

Hi.

It is just a matter of your expectations.  Sometimes a vertical scar (the "line" you are talking about) is the right thing to do.  You should have understood that before surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Vertical Scar after Tummy Tuck

+2

This line can be a result from a tummy tuck if you did not have enough skin that could be removed between your belly button and your pubis.  This is should have been recognized at the examination during your consult.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Vertical line after TT

+2

Hello and thanks for the questions and photo.  When the skin and tissue below the belly button cannot be completely removed, the area where the belly button was separated will be advanced downwards, but closed with a vertical incision to give the best possible shape and contour to the abdomen.  The scar will always be there, but things can be done to improve the look of it once the scar has fully healed.  I hope this helps and best of luck.  Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

is It Normal to Have a "Line" Going Up Middle of Scar

+2

Normal is not the right word here. When a TT is done, most commonly the skin from the upper abdomen will reach down to the lower incision, and the hole made around the navel will come off with the extra skin. When there is not enough excess, the hole around the navel winds up in the lower abdomen and must be closed, resulting in a vertical incision as you have on your photo. Some surgeons will avoid this by making the entire scar higher, but that makes little sense, since now the entire incision may be visible in swimwear. 

The line is a scar. It won't "go away" but will become less noticeable as the incision heals.

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

The vertical line sometimes is needed if the old belly button location cannot be removed

+2

Thank you for the question and the photo.  If there is not enough laxity present to allow all of the skin from the pubic line to the belly button to be removed the old belly button location must be closed as a small vertical incision in the midline near your horizontal incision.  The appearance of this incision can fade with time and of course it can also be revised if the appearance is not ideal.  The link below shows the presence of a smaller vertical incision in one of my patients.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD