3 Weeks Post Op TUMMY TUCK - Drains Removed on Day 9, Been Draining Every 3 Days with Syringe & All of Sudden my Fluid Got DARK?

I got a little shocker yesterday when my hubby drained me for the 6th time with a needle & syringe. (My doc is located out of town & hubby is an RN so that is why he drains me instead). The fluid was very dark like wine! When my drains came out on day 9, my fluid was super light and watery then the nxt day the doc manually drained about 15cc, after that we've been draining at home, fluid got a little redder, nothing major, 40 cc every 4 days but then yesterday's color scared me! Is this normal?

Tummy Tuck Aspiration Getting Darker

+1

If the aspiration is getting darker this may be old blood.  However, if there is a larger amount of blood you are draining each time, see your surgeon.

Tummy tuck drainage

+1
You are describing an evacuating hematoma, or blood clot. Definitely report this to your plastic surgeon and let him determine whether this requires additional attention.

Dark drainage

+1

It sounds like you may have a pocket of clotted blood.  You should contact your surgeon to inform him/her of the situation.  It is probably nothing serious, but your surgeon should be kept "in the loop". Good luck!

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Draining

+1

Sounds like there is clotted blood in the fluid.  In your best interest, you should follow up with your surgeon, or the surgeon that is taking call for him.  At this point after surgery, you should not have drainage issues.  Be sure to wear your compression garment at all times.

Fluid Got DARK?

+1

There was probably always some clotted blood in the mix, and now that the blood is breaking down, you are seeing the reddish-brown color typical of resolving hematoma. At this small volume, nothing to be concerned about.
Best wishes for an otherwise uneventful recovery.