3 Weeks Post Op Face Lift, Upper/lower Eyelids?

Have a large lump under one eye/above cheek bone and smaller lump under other eye. Seems like soft tissue inflamation. Also have a large "rope"like swelling from ear to ear but mostly under my chin. Is it best to gently massage the lumps under the eyes and aggressively massage the thick swelling on my neck, would heating pads or warm cloths be better or used in addition? How long should I expect to normality, My surgeon had told me 3-4 weeks, he is also out of state so not easy to get to his office.

Swelling after surgery

+1

Your question is not infrequent here- such lumps and areas of firmness likely represent areas of inflammation and you are still in the early postoperative period.  I would not recommend vigorous massage but rather patience.  It is likely to take 3-6 months for most of the swelling and firmness to resolve, though you will look presentable long before that.  It's hard to wait, but patience is the most difficult part of the surgery!

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after Facelift and Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery at 3 Weeks

+1

The swelling and scar maturation process needs 3 to 6 months to help with the resolution of some of these irregularities. 

At three weeks it is ok to still have some contour irregularities after a facelift

+1

Given that it is still relatively early in your recovery, I would not worry. Contour irregularities (lumps, bumps, ridges, depressions) are pretty common after facelifts and may persist for a couple months. They will likely diminsh steadily and eventually go away. In our practice we combine home massage and in office ultra-sound to help speed the process along. I would definately advise you disuss this with your surgeon who should be able to guide you.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after facelift surgery

+1

It is not uncommon to experience minor lumpiness and/or asymmetry after a facelift and blepharoplasty procedure.  These procedures utilize deep sutures to elevate the tissues.  These sutures can cause minor inflammation and swelling.  The swelling from tissue trauma is really symmetric.  It usually takes several weeks to see the exact facial contour after facelifting.   

Jonathan Sykes, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps post face

+1

This is not uncommon given that you are only 3 weeks or so post op.Hea and massage will help.the rope ike feeling may be due to sutures across the neck but give it soem more time.t

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after facelift and blepharoplasty (eye lid surgery)

+1

Some uneven swelling and lumpiness is not unusual after facelift and blepharoplasty procedures.  I usually recommend warm compresses after the first few days to dilate blood vessels and wash out bruising.  Massage is key and should be done frequently.  The amount of pressure should be just short of painful.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Lumps after facelift

+1

It is not uncommon to experience some lumpiness following a facelift procedure. Usually, these lumps will gradually settle out over 2-4 weeks without any complications. Compression, gentle massage, and icing can all be helpful in the recovery period. I would make sure that you are compliant with your surgeons post-op instructions and follow up with him or her to ensure that the healing process is progressing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Lumps and Bumps After Facelift

+1

As a rule one should expect lumps and bumps after facelift and eyelid surgery. A little more information would be nice; are the lumps firm or soft, are they associated with bruises, are they inflamed and are they painful. Some lumps do better with intervention (serum or blood colections) but the majority can be treated as you suggest with gentle massage. Heat is rarely indicated but cold is usually helpful. Ask your surgeon's staff as they are familiar with your specific case.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon