3 Weeks After Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery? (photo)

i am only 33 and had this procedure. STUPID, didn't need it!! . it has been 3 weeks, people keep saying, OMG what happened to your eyes! my eyes don't even look like my own. there is baggy skin underneath, which was not there before, and my folds are HUGE, I am caucasion but have always had asian kind of eyes. very small folds. I feel my eyes now look round like little circles with baggy skin underneath. i feel i can never go out in public again. is there any hope they will return to normal?

3 Weeks after Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery

+1

Although you looked good before surgery, I do not see anything in the postoperative photos that would preclude you from looking good again.  Give yourself 6 months to heal.  You will probably be fine.

It will take a couple of months before things settle down.

+1

I am more concerned that you let yourself get roped into a surgery that you did not need.  Unfortunately if you present yourself to a surgeon, there is a high probability that you will be offered a surgery.  Think about it, we make more money recommending surgery than telling people they should not have surgery.  The relationship is asymmetric.  The surgeon is often seen as a power figure.  For some individuals, there can be need to please the authority figure and they are more vulnerable to this type of pressure.

My advice is to allow yourself to heal.  If you are truly feeling like you can't show your face, you might be experiencing a shame type depression.  Working with a therapist can often help you have better insight into your feelings.  Even if you decide you hate your new eyelids, do not let this surgeon reoperate to "fix it."  Give yourself time to really heal 6 to 12 months.  If you still don't like what you see, carefully research surgeons who offer repair work for Asian eyelid surgery and take a close and skeptical friend with you on consults.  Good luck and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

3 Weeks After Eyelid Surgery- Be Patient

+1

You make 2 great points in your question. First of all, yes- what were you thinking. The eyes in your pre-op photo look great. Sometimes we do tend to think that surgery will make everything look better, but surgery is not an exact science. When things look so good to begin with, you have to have an absolutely perfect result in order to look better after surgery. Operating on your eyes makes most of us nervous because there is absolutely no room for anything less than a perfect result. With that said, you definitely have a fair amount of swelling remaining in your "after' photo. The eyelid skin is incredibly thin, meaning that you will see every bit of swelling in the eyes until it is completely gone. This will take at least another 2-3 months. For now, just be patient. Know that you will continue to look better and better over the next 3 months and it is very likely that you will be happy once all is said and done. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 Weeks After Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery?

+1

Appears as you still have edema/swelling, yes only 3 weeks. If after 6 weeks there is still issues seek in person evaluation with your surgeon. 

OMG My Eyelids

+1

Hi Tidos79,

Yes, I think there is still a great chance you'll be happy with your eyelid surgery.Bruising and major swelling are usually gone in 2-3 weeks. However, it may take 4-6months to see the final, natural result so give it more time. There is nothing I see in your after photo that is cause for immediate concern.

You are younger than average for upper/lower lid surgery, but the "need" for cosmetic surgery can be subjective. Since you are smiling with your eyebrows elevated in the before picture,  I don't think a determination can be made about the indications for surgery.

Continue to follow-up with your surgeon during your recovery period.

Good luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon