Is 3 Months Too Soon for Another Tummy Tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck 6 weeks ago. I am very unhappy with my results, especially with the fat and skin in the upper abs.

My ps said he is willing to do revisions as early as 3 months. I hear a lot of people using 6 months as a rule of thumb. Am I risking anything going earlier? What is going on in my upper abs? How can this be fixed?

You need a vertical scar to get all the skin removed

+4

As Dr. Yates has said, you have an excess of skin that can only be addressed by another scar all the way up your abdomen. This is usually unacceptable to all patients except those who have sustained massive weight loss.

It would be fine to do this now if you can accpet the scar because at 3 months post-op you have seen just about all that your current tummy tuck is going to do for you.

Assuming you went to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, go back and discuss your concerns and options. This is more of a total re-do than a "revision."

Too early for another tummy tuck

+3

Wait until at least 6 months to a year. From what you are showing in the picture, the skin is loose across your belly vertically more than horizontally.

Have you lost a lot of weight? Sometimes loose skin in this direction cannot be completely tightened in a vertical direction with a standard tummy tuck.

The only option to really tighten the skin in this direction may involve a midline abdominal scar which is unacceptable for most patients.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon