3 Months Postop. Breast Feels Hard but PS Says Everything is Fine. Should I Get a Second Opinion?

I was out of state for a few weeks and out of nowhere I get this pain in my right breast and it begins to feel hard. It lasted about a week and then the pain and tightness began to subside but I made an appointment when I got back just to be sure. My PS says there is only a little bit of tightness in the other breast and nothing is wrong. Even though it doesnt feel as hard as it did now, I dont think what I went through was normal. Should I see another surgeon to get another opinion in it?

Terry A. Cromwell M.D.

+2

If you feel the problem with pain and firmness of your breast 3 mos. post aug. was not addressed then yes, get another opinion. It sounds like the problem improved on its own,but capsule formation can start at 3 mos.With saline implants massage can be helpful.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get a Second Opinion?

+1

As a general rule I would not discourage a patient from getting a second opinion if they question their surgeon's treatment. From your description, whatever this was has gotten better. Most postop issues of pain and tightness resolve on their own without explanation, without treatment.

Your surgeon's comments, based on examination, seem sensible to me. It seems quite unlikely that you would get any useful info from a second opinion.

Firmness in breast at three months

+1

At three months the breasts should be relaxing a bit with the implants.  It can take longer.  If you don't feel confidence in your surgeon, you should seek another opinion.

Breast hardness

+1

What surgery did you have?

If you don't feel comfortable with or trust your doctor by all means seek a second opinion.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Hardness, pain after breast augmentation

+1

There are several possibilities for the symptoms you describe.  Without examining you in person, it is difficult to give you much useful information.  If you are not satisfied with your doctor's response then it never hurts to get another opinion from someone who can examine you.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Hardness at 3 Months Following Breast Augmentation

+1

Hardness at 3 months following breast augmentation may be the beginning of a capsular contracture.  However, it may be nothing.  Capsular contracture will continue to progress and will reveal itself if present.  In the interim, you should not worry about something that occurs about 5% of the time.

No second opinion needed

+1

Remember, you chose the surgeon who operated on you and presumably that choice involved trust in them.  There are countless variations of normal recovery in surgery so trust the doctor you chose to tell you what to worry about and what not to worry about.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS