Is 3-dimentional High Definition Endoscopic Rhinoplasty Just Hype?

There is a plastic surgeon in Manhattan (Dr. Sam Rizk) who uses a technique he calls 3D high definition endoscopic rhinoplasty. Supposedly by using the 3D high def endoscope he is able to get better results (with less trauma on the nose), or so we're supposed to believe. Are other surgeons aware of this device and if so, why isn't everyone using it if it's such a great tool? Is it mostly hype? Note, I'm not asking for personal opinions about this doctor, but rather this particular technique.

Misleading advertising in cosmetic surgery

You were right to think that if it was such a great idea and much better results, why would not everyone be doing it that way!! This holds true for many "new" procedures, instruments that are hyped by doctors. Unfortunately, a lot of them may not even be plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery but those "trained" in week-end courses and able to say or claim anything they wish for their is no oversight of them. So, I caution to be aware of anyone claiming to be the first at doing something, the only one that does it a certain way, the inventor of a special instrument, procedure, no bruising, no downtime,etc. I think you get the picture! Start with a reputable plastic surgeon. That may not guaranttee you the result that you want, but will give you a good start! 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

1441 Avocado Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92660

3D endoscopic rhinoplasty

Just a hype. Look at the before and after pictures ( 10-20 ) and make judgement on the quality of the results. If 80-90% of them are good then you have the same percentage chance of getting a good result.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

1441 Avocado
Newport Beach, CA 92660

3D rhinoplasty is a term I have never heard of.

3D rhinoplasty is a term I have never heard of. I have been teaching rhinoplasty and practicing this for 35 years and have never heard of this discussed at the Rhinoplasty Society or other meeting. Draw your own conclusions.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Endoscopic Rhinoplasty

I do not believe there is such a term. It sounds like a standard nasal endoscope, generally used for sinus surgery, is used as part of the rhinoplasty procedure. Usually this is used during the internal portion of the surgery, i.e septoplasty.

Is this better? results will still be surgeon dependent, not equipment.Best,

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

7700 San Felipe Street
Houston, TX 77063

Endoscopic Rhinoplasty

Not really sure what the advantage would be to use an endoscope unless one was doing sinus surgery with a rhinoplasty. That said, Id be interested to know if there are any published studies showing the advantage of this technique to others more traditional techniques.  If there are advantages to this technique Id be interested to know what they are. Id also be interested in seeing how the technique is performed.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

44 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10021

3-D Rhinoplasty

Select the surgeon with consistent, natural results - don't select the technique. Endoscopes are used in sinus surgery - in 40 years of training, teaching, and private practice I've never heard of this procedure for rhinoplasty. 

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Endoscopic Rhinoplasty Is Not An Established Or Proven Procedure

Marketing a certain plastic surgery procedure as better than a standard approach always bears scrutiny. This rhinoplasty techjique is not mainstream and has never appeared in any national plastic surgery publication or meeting. This, in and of itself, does not mean it has no merit but does suggest that promoting it at this point as better or offering advantages is far from proven. The internet is fertile ground for self-promotion of techniques in plastic surgery that are more fluff than fact. Given the very small space of the nose, it is difficult to imagine the value of an endoscope for any type of rhinoplasty procedure.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Three D high defintion rhinoplasty is an uncharted territory

Rhinoplasty techniques have been well established and built over many years. High definition and yes, now 3-D, is new in endoscopy for certain surgical specialties, though there has been no application to rhinoplasty. This one has red flags all over it, and it would be best to compare other surgeons.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

Rhinoplasty, Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty, Nasal Refinement, Nose Job

It sounds like a specific way this particular surgeon wants to do his Rhinoplasty Surgery.  The idea of using a telescope (endoscope) to do plastic and cosmetic surgery is not new and has been around for years however, it's use in Rhinoplasty is relatively new.  I have performed all sorts of Rhinoplasty Surgery for over 20 years and it is the most technically challenging plastic surgery procedure there is...partly because of the limited visibilty whcih would be even less, IMO, if you had to look through a small endoscope.

At the end of the day with Rhinoplasty as with every plastic and cosmetic surgery procedure from Botox to Facelifts and Breast Implants, it's the results, not any particular method that counts.  That's what you're really paying for.  If you have a conult with 2-3 top Rhinoplasty surgeons and you believe that the endoscopic procedure used by that surgeon can and will give you the results you're looking for than go for it.  If not, then don't.  It's really just that simple.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211