I'm 5' 3" and 250 Pounds is Liposuction the Answer for Me?

I have struggled with weight issues all my life. I have done everything from daily workout routines to doctor consultations to even seeing a therapist and nothing has worked for me. I deal with it every day and I workout everyday and eat healthy but nothing seems to be working for me. So I'm determined to get liposuction and want to know if it is the best answer for me.

Gastric Bypass or Lap Band Surgery

+1

Liposuction is effective in contouring or reshaping small, hereditary, localized pockets of fat. While larger volume liposuctions can be effectively performed in hospital settings, these surgeries carry a higher risk with poor contouring. I would suggest you meet with a board certified general surgeon to first discuss the possibility of either gastric bypass or lap band surgery. Laparoscopic (camera-assisted) lap band surgery can be performed in under an hour as an outpatient procedure. Patients frequently report weight loss of over 100 pounds in the first 12-18 months. In addition, patient's report better control of their hypertension, diabetes, and gastroesophageal reflux, etc. Consider all your options before making an informed decision. 

Lipo in patients who are over weight

+1

Had you asked me twenty years ago i would have said; no you are not a candidate for liposuction. Today surgery is safer and the amount you need may be staged to give you the kick you need to start weight loss. See a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss staged procedures. For example I would do a tummy tuck and lipo of the love handles then take you back at six month intervals and lipo no more than five litters at a time. Good judgment comes from experience, unfortunately experience comes from bad judgment. I feel your pain and commend you for trying. Diet and exercise are a great idea, but few can lose pounds and keep the pounds off. Good luck.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

No, unfortunately liposuction is not your solution

+1

Unfortuntatly liposuction is not the solution for you.  Instead, you need bariatric surgery.  You can also seek out personal trainers and dieticians as to lose weight and keep it off, you will need life changes.

Web reference: http://www.gbkderm.com

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight loss without liposuction

+1

Amber7243, I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling to get your weight to a better, healthier place. Liposuction isn't  going to get you to that place either. I'm not a fan of weight loss surgeries; there are risks with all of them.

After seeing tens of thousands of women for consultations for liposuction in my practice, I know that there are many women who struggle with serious weight problems, and are trying to do the right thing. I'm going to point you in a direction you might not have considered. Here are 2 books I suggest you read:

• 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neil D. Barnard, MD
  • The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn

These books are easy, fun and inspirational reads with great recipes, and no calorie counting. You will be full, and most importantly, lose weight!

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a procedure that should never be viewed as an alternative to weight loss.  It is a “contouring” procedure best used in areas that are disproportionate to your general body size/frame.  Your surgeon will be able to review your medical/weight history and help you decide if  liposuction is the answer. You may be best served by seeing a bariatric surgeon to see if you are a good candidate for weight loss surgery.

I'm 5' 3" and 250 Pounds - Is Liposuction the Answer for Me?

+1

Dear Amber7243,

I am sorry to hear about your weight struggles, but liposuction is a procedure for reshaping the body and *not* a treatment for weight loss.

At your current weight, you are morbidly obese, which is very harmful for your short and long-term health. I would recommend seeing a bariatric surgeon to consider surgical treatment for obesity such as gastric bypass, gastric banding, or vertical sleeve gastrectomy. You can find a qualified bariatric center and surgeon through the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (asmbs.org).

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Web reference: http://www.bayarea-plasticsurgery.com/after-weight-loss.html

Liposuction is not your answer

+1

Safe liposuction is absolutely not for weight loss.  Only diet, exercise, or weight loss surgery will do that.  Please meet with some weight loss surgeons to see if this will work for you.  Good luck!

+1

Thanks for the question and posting your photos. Liposuction can remove amounts of fat but in your cases the amount to give you a significant improvement is very dangerous. In office operation in Florida can only remove 4 liters of fat. While Large Volume Liposuction in hospital can remove 10 to 12 liters but the costs is $20,000. Gastric bypass might be an answer. In some cases the 4 liters gets patients excited to try additional weight loss.