I Am Almost 2 Years out from a Lift and Augmentation and Still Splitting Stitches?

My surgery healed great then I developed a small opening on the arellano line. Very much like spitting stitches but I am almost 2years out. The spot closes and then opens every month or 2, my dr thinks maybe it is the permanent stitch, any ideas?

Infected permanent sutures

+1

Lifts frequently use non-absorbent sutures that are located close to the skin.  They can become infected and once infected have to be removed otherwise the infection will persist like you.  What you are describing is most likely non-dissolveable sutures that will need surgical removal.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Wound issues

+1

Sounds like you have an infected permanent suture that will need to be removed to cure your problem.  See your plastic surgeon to correct the problem.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Remove a Spitting Stitch

+1

One technique in breast lift uses a permanent/non-dissolving type of stitch.

It sounds like you may have such a permanent stitch.

It must be removed or it will likely continue to cause irritation or drainage.  Fortunately, removing the stitch is usually pretty simple!

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Spitting suture needs to be removed

+1

At two years after surgery, the most likely explaination of your situation is a spitting suture (one that has been contaminated by skin bacteria), especially if a permanent suture was used.

The treatment involves removing the suture and it can usually be done with local anesthetic in the office.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Opening in periareolar incision 2 years post-op!

+1

If your plastic surgeon utilized a "permanent" (non-dissolving) suture in this incision, then persistent opening/healing/re-opening is absolutely indicative of a contaminated (exposed to surface skin bacteria) suture. The only treatment for this is to have the suture removed and allow the tissues to heal. Antibiotics will work only as long as you are on them, so this is not a long-term "solution."

Removing the suture (under local anesthesia) solves the problem of recurrent opening and healing, but without this permanent suture supporting the tissues, your areola may stretch and widen compared to the other side (with its presumably intact suture).

See your plastic surgeon; he or she can address this definitively! Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/breast-procedures/breast-lift

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon