2 weeks 4 days post op tummy tuck swelling

Hi I am 2weeks 4 days post op. two days ago during the day I did not wear binder because I had to wash. I put it on that night and slept with it. the next day I noticed my stomach was tender and really swollen. What could be the reason?

Tender and Swollen Tummy

+1
Thanks for your question. You are expected to be visibly swollen for the first few months after surgery, though a large part of it is gone by the first month. Though you are probably fine, I would strongly suggest you see your surgeon. You could have an accumulation of fluid under the skin (seroma) or maybe an infection.

Tummy tuck soreness

+1
It is still very early after surgery.  Many times blinders can be to tight and contribute to swelling.  Best to go and be seen or call the office at least.

A tummy tuck can be done as a solitary procedure. Many times the results are enhanced by adding liposuction to the hip and love handle area. A tummy tuck is also done in combination with a breast augmentation in a mommy makeover.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Talk to your trusted surgeon

+1

Thanks for your question. 

I'll be honest with you, if you already had your surgery and you're happy with your surgeon, the best place to seek for answers is with him/her. 

Without photos, it's hard to answer, but it could be only swelling (it's not in vain that we recommend using garments 24/7 for the first month). Anyways, it could be more than that life an infection or seroma. The best thing for you to do is contact your surgeon right away for any doubts you may have. 

One recommendation I always tell my patients is to have at least 2 compression garments (binders), so that situation does not occur. 

Have a great recovery and take good care of yourself, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernández Goico, MD

+1
If there is redness, could be an infection or it could be a fluid accumulation or just swelling of the skin.   Best to discuss eith your doctor.  Best of luck. 

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck recovery- swollen 2 weeks later

+1
It can take some time to have swelling resolve.  A lot depends on the procedure you had, and if anything else was done at the same time.  If any liposuction was performed that can sometimes lead to prolonged swelling.  I believe it is important to be very committed to wearing your compression garment and following activity recommendations.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are following recommended postoperative protocols.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon