I Had a 2nd Upper Blepharoplasty on my Left Eye? (photo)

A year ago I had to under go a 2nd upper blepharoplasty on my left eye because of a large wrinkle/crease left from the first surgery just 2 months prior (my right eye is perfect). I've pain right in the middle of the incision line since the 2nd surgery but thought it would go away, however now almost a year later the incision is swollen, red and painful. Should I make an appointment with the surgery?

Please do not return to this surgeon.

+2

While there is nothing obviously below the standard of care evident in this photograph, the stitches shown in this photograph are crude and widely and irregularly spaced.  In this business, neatness counts.  My immediate concern regards a lack of skin between the eyebrow and the eyelid margin.  A detailed consultation would investigate why you are having pain.  In many cases this can be traced back to an issue not with the eyelid but with drying on the corneal surface.  It turns out that these two structures share the same sensory nerves.  Take some time and find true eyelid experts.  Please do not rush to have more surgery and don't allow yourself to be bullied or victimized into more surgery.

Pain 6 months after upper lid surgery.

+1

It is very unusual to have pain after upper lid blepharoplast . This could be related to a retained piece of suture material which could be removed. Speak to your plastic surgeon.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Pain after secondary blepharoplasty

+1

You should not be in pain six months after the revision.  My concern would be for a buried suture reaction but your photo, which includes sutures, does not elucidate the current condition.  I think you need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Problems after a second blepharoplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear of your issues as blepharoplasties seem to be one of the more predictable procedures.  Your photo in your acute post-op phase does not indicate what you are currently experiencing.  Best to see your surgeon and if dissatisfied with treatment, get a second opinion.  There are many surgeons that will provide them for 'free' so check around and find someone with great credentials and reputation.

Curtis Wong, MD

Eyelid problem after blepharoplasty

+1

it is not normal to have pain or swelling this long after eyelid surgery. Discuss with your surgeon and/or see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Pain After a Second Blepharoplasty is Unusual

+1

I am sorry you having this discomfort so far out after your surgery.  If you are having pain, redness and swelling, I would suggest you see your PS.  You may be having a reaction or an infection.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon