Can a 2nd Rhinoplasty Be Done to Correct a Brake That Was Missed During a Botched Septoplasty?

I had very successful rhino-septoplasty in 2004. I broke my nose, unaware of it in June 2010. An ent did a septoplasty and did not put a cast on the outside of my nose therefore the bone did not grow back together. I am in almost constant pain and a cortisol shot did not work. How risky would it be to do a 2nd rhinoplasty. I have a good ent this time.

Revision rhinoplasty is appropriate and not risky.

+1

Hi “Alee”.

I am pleased that you had a successful septorhinoplasty in 2004.  Unfortunately, the nasal surgery you had last year was not successful so it sounds like you may be a candidate for revision rhinoplasty

I do not understand the issue of constant pain, and so that must be discussed with your surgeon.  If the “cortisol shot” did not work, then it would seem that further evaluation is necessary.

From a structural standpoint, revision rhinoplasty should be successful, but before you undertake that I think you need a very thorough evaluation.  The pain issue must be settled before a second surgery; you don’t want the risk of having continued or worsened pain after the second operation. 

If your surgeon is unsure about proceeding or cannot explain the pain, I would recommend a second opinion with an experienced nasal surgeon. 

Good luck.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Broken nose

+1

you broke your nose in 2010. had surgery in 2011. then you had a septoplasty, b an ENT surgeon, septoplasty does not need a splint of the nose bones.

You are having pain from the break of the nose, it would have been painfull with or without the splint or the septoplasty there is no relationship.

Who ever broke your nose is the one to blame for the pain NOT YOUR ENT SURGEON. and the fact that you did not seek medical care after breaking the nose is the blame