2nd and 3rd Degree Burns over my Arms? (photo)

Hi, I am a 22 years old male, 1 week ago I burned my self while cooking at home. I burned my both arms, and my toe. Since then I have seen a doctor, and plastic surgeon. I am getting my dressings changed every day and doctors told me that after two more weeks they will tell me more. They have told me I won't need any surgery, or skin grafts. My question is am I going to get my skin back. After 6 months or one year when it heals is my skin going to be like before? or will i have scars Thank You.

Burn scars

+1

Hi, sorry about the accident, it was great you got early evaluation and it sounds like your doctors are taking good care of you. It really depends on the level of the burn whether or not you will get scarring. Its hard to say from a photo but many look like they will heal with minimal scarring. For the ones that do, there are lasers which can reduce the appearance of scars. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist with expertise in laser surgery. Both fractional lasers and pulsed dye lasers can help with scarring and were developed by dermatologists.

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Treatment for Burns with Melarase and Fractional CO2 laser

+1

Burn scars often have textural and color changes. In my practice, I begin early treatment with skin lighteners such as Melarase and treat with fractional co2 laser for the texture.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Burns of the arms

+1

Thank you for the question as well as photos!  I am sorry to hear of your accident.  

Without examining your burns, it is difficult to accurately answer your question.  In burn injuries such as yours, the decision to be made is if your burns will heal without intervention within 3 weeks time, which is why they advised you of this time frame when they will know more.  I do not appreciate any full-thickness (3rd degree) burns in the photos that you have shared, as these most likely would require surgical intervention.  At one week post-burn, while you do have some deep-partial-thickness burns, It sounds as if these are healing well, thus being managed conservatively with dressing changes at this time.  

Your skin will inevitably return, however, you will likely have some evidence of the burn injuries from the scarring produced from this accident.  It will look very similar, but likely with some pigmentary changes at the sites of your burns.  I would recommend continued follow-up with your physicians for continued evaluation and treatment as burn injuries can change as they heal. I hope that this helps!  Best of luck!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD