Which size should I choose, 290cc or 335cc?

I am scheduled for a ba in June and can't decide between 290 or 335. I am 85 pounds and my bra size currently is 32a. My width is 10cm as measured by my surgeon and he recommends 290. Can anyone tell me APPROXIMATELY what size cup I would be after if I went with the 290? I would be getting smooth silicone under the muscle( sub muscular ). Thanks

BBA

+1
There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Best implant size

+1
Thank you for your breast augmentation question.

You are very small. I would be inclined to follow your surgeon's advice.

It is not possible to tell you the best implant for you.
The right implant depends on your chest measurements, your goals, height and weight, skin looseness and proportions. The final result – in bra size – can be hard to predict. Depending on bra and anatomic variables, a 275 cc implant can be a DD and a 430 can be a full C. 

If you are not sure about the size, return to your plastic surgeon for a second review of the surgical plan before surgery. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Choosing sizes

+1
can be challenging, especially when starting with a petite frame such as yours.  A cup of rice in a nylon stocking will create a size of 240 cc's.  I usually upsize the sizer by 10% to choose the implant volume so using a cup would give you a good idea of what size you will be.  If its not enough, then go with the 335 cc volume.  The most common complaint I get is "I wish I went larger" and my recommendations to my patients when torn between two adjacent sizes is always go with the larger one, assuming your chest can handle it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Shape not size

+1
It takes approximately 150cc for a cup size difference.  Smaller volumes and profiles are used to enhance the overall shape you are looking for and is dependent on your individual chest wall characteristics and body frame.  Implant sizing systems can help fine tune what you are looking for.

Sizing

+1
I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Bra size.

+1
Since there are no uniform standards to define breast size, I would hesitate to make a guess. I have numerous patients with bras of three different cup sizes that all fit. 

Some surgeons estimate a cup size increase with every 150-250 cc of implant as a rough guideline. The lower would be the better guess for a 32 band. 

Rather than guess cup size, I encourage patients to try on implants, and I use that info to help choose a size, usually about 5 to 10% larger to account for the fact that the implant will look larger sitting over the breast than it does inserted surgically. 

Sizing questions

+1
Both of these sizes are quite close to each other - only 1.5 ounces apart, or about the size of two shot glasses of liquid, spread out over the entire breast.  In a 32 band, you would probably end up with a small to mid C, but this is hard to estimate, since bra sizes vary so widely between manufacturers...

What shape of implant are you looking at - medium or high profile?  Make sure the implant isn't too wide for your petite frame.  Does this shape match your appearance goals?  Would you be frustrated post-op if you ended up too large?  or too small?

This sort of question is really difficult to answer on real self, but I totally understand your anxiety about it.  It's best answered during a consultation.  I'd go back to see your surgeon and ask him / her to help you a little bit more to sort this out.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast implant for a narrow based breast

+1
You and your plastic surgeon should take some time selecting the right implant for you.  I would start with picking the right base diameter.  At your size you should be careful not to select an implant that is too wide for your chest circumference.  

Which breast implant 290 your 335 cc?

+1
It is best if you take a non-padded bra, revisit your plastic surgeon and have the surgeon place different sized breast implant sizers into your bra so that you can see how you will look with each size.

I agree that you should focus on the look you want and not the cup size because a C cup bra at one store will be label a D cup bra at another store.

Very generally speaking many surgeons estimate that it takes 150-200 cc to increase by a cup size.  Based on that analysis the 290 cc should increase you almost 2 cup sizes from the current bra that you're wearing.  However the breast implant sizing system is a much more valuable tool for you than Internet answers.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Which size should I choose, 290cc or 335cc for breast augmentation?

+1
Thank you for the question. There is no accurate correlation between size of breast implant and cup size achieved. I ask patients not to base their communication of goals, or evaluate the outcome of breast augmentation surgery, based on achieving specific cup sizes.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "B or C cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
 The use of computer imaging technology may also be very helpful during this communication process.
3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to petite patients) helps.