Is 29 too young for an upper eyelid surgery? (photo)

My eyes used to be one of my best features, but in the past few years my upper eyelids started getting all that extra skin, resulting in multiple deep wrinkles above the crease area. It makes my eyes look older than my 29 years of age, and puffy too, and it really bothers me. Looking at my 64 year old mother, who has a similar eye structure, it seems like it's going to get even worse. Is surgery needed in my case, and if so, should it be done at my age or would it be smarter to wait a few years?

Upper eyelid surgery

+2

Hello sweetie24

Eyelid surgery may be related to ageing in many cases. However, genetics is also a powerful contributor, as may be the case for you.

Theoretically, there is no reason why you should not undergo a blepharoplasty.

The best way to find out if you are a good candidate is to consult with a skilled, experienced Plastic Surgeon. Plastic Surgeons are highly trained Specialists, and our many years of Specialist training give us the ability to assess cases they may not be 'the norm'.

In my practice, a large number of these cases are performed under local anaesthetic, with some patients choosing sedation as an alternate option.

I wish you well in your search.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Is 29 too young for an upper eyelid surgery?

+2

No as seen in your posted photos You could benefit from upper lid skin removal under local anesthesia.//

Upper eyelid surgery would help

+2

Even though you are young, you do have some extra skin, and your crease is a bit ill-defined. A conservative blepharoplasty should remove some of this skin, and form a better lid crease so that you will have a more defined platform for makeup. I would not take out any fat as this could create a hollow appearance to your lid.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Age is not contraindications to surgery

+2

and your anatomy certainly qualifies you as a candidate to benefit considerably from an upper eyelid procedure. See a local plastic, facial plastic, or even oculoplastic surgeon as all can provide you what you desire.

Curtis Wong, MD

You are actually an ideal upper blephaorplasty candidate.

+2

The key is that less is more. You need what is called an anchor blepharoplasty. It is essential to understand that you need the eyelid cleaned up. This means preserving the upper eyelid fold. Removing a small amount of redundant skin will allow your eyebrows relax to a more natural appearance helping them to look full. Grafting of fat into the upper eyelid is probably not necessary. Please do your homework carefully. Not all eyelid surgeons are created equally. You want your surgery to be awesome, so pick someone with great outcomes. If you study websites, make sure that the pictures you are looking at actually are the surgeon's patients. Believe it or not, some website are boiler-plate and the photos are so-called "pooled" pictures, meaning they may be on a surgeon's website but the work is not the surgeon's work!

Upper eyelid surgery

+2

An exam in person will help establish what you need. If you have redundant skin in the upper eyelid, a skin only conservative blepharoplasty may be what you need.

Is 29 too young for upper eyelid surgery?

+2

The indications for upper eyelid surgery are not based on age, it's based on having enough loose/excess skin such that removal will improve the appearance of your eyes.

Thank you for your picture; in your situation, you would benefit from an upper blepharoplasty. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia and takes about 30-45 minutes. There is minimal pain or discomfort afterwards.

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Hollow lids/brows leading to loose skin

+2

Although you do have loose "extra" skin in the upper eyelids and can benefit from slight skin removal (upper blepharoplasty), the main problem is actually hollowness of the upper eyelid/brows, similar to letting air out of the balloon. You can benefit from concurrent filler or fat injection into the upper eyelid/brow to achieve more youthful appearance. The short answer to your general question is that there is no specific age that surgery is recommended for. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon