I Am a 29 Year Old Mother of Two I Am Debating a Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction at the Same Time?

but many of my family members are concered that I will die during the procedure I have always been healthy i am over weight now with high colestrol what are my risks

Combination breast and body procedures

+1

Combination cosmetic procedures like tummy tuck and breast reduction is quite common. Breast procedures and body contouring procedures are often safely combined in a surgery commonly known as Mommy Makeover. However, it is recommended that patients reach a healthy weight prior to any surgical procedure. Overweight patients, especially those with high cholesterol, can have higher complication rates. While mommy makeover surgery is safe for many patients, it is important to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the risks related to these procedures combined with the risks posed by any underlying health conditions.

Athens Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thanks for the question. Without photos and an exam, it is difficult to answer your question.Discuss the risk with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.Best Wishes...Dr Thomas Narsete  Austin,Tx

Thomas A. Narsete, MD (retired)

Surgical Risks With Multiple Procedures -

+1

A tummy tuck and breast reduction is a combination that is frequently performed on patients who are appropriate medical candidates. Safety should always be the main concern. Before undergoing the procedure, you need to diet and exercise to get to your ideal weight. These  procedures are not a replacement for weight reduction. It is important that you see your primary physician to address these issues and get medical clearance before undergoing the procedure, then consult a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally, a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. The likelihood of severe complications once you have followed these steps is extremely unlikely. The procedure should be performed in a surgical facility that is accredited by a national organization like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF) or licensed hospital with an appropriate anesthesia provider and consider overnight hospitalization for the first night to be carefully monitored and decrease the risk of potential problems.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and tummy tuck are commonly done at the same time.

+1

The combination of breast surgery and abdominal wall surgery goes under the heading of "mommy makeover". Provided the health of the patient a satisfactory, there commonly done at the same time.

Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction Surgery at Same Time?

+1

As you can imagine, online consultants will not be able to provide you with as precise a response as will your physicians who know you best. For your own ( and your familie's) peace of mind, you may benefit from a medical workup to assess your risk prior to proceeding with major surgery.  this is especially true given your history of high cholesterol and being “overweight”.

As you know, it is always best to undergo body contouring surgery once you have reached a “long-term stable weight”. Sometimes, patients benefit from professional help from physicians, personal trainers, and/or dietitians once they have done their best and have reached a plateau with diet and exercise.

Of paramount importance will be your selection of plastic surgeon. Ask to see lots of examples of previous patients the  board certified plastic  surgeons have helped in your situation.  The  safety record of the anesthesiologist and that of the fully accredited surgery facility  should be asked about also.

In the end, if any doubt exists, I think it is best to stage the procedures.

I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go  major body contouring surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

Safety of combined procedures

+1

A breast reduction and tummy tuck are commonly performed together safely.  The amount of surgery that can be done at one time safely is based on your current medical problems.  Having high cholesterol by itself is usually not a significant factor when discussing risks of surgery.  Being overweight can cause more risks with healing after surgery.  General anesthesia is very safe in most people, but make sure you get a complete workup before proceeding with surgery and make sure you work with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

29 yo and Tummy tuck with Breast Reduction for Mommy Makeover

+1

A tummy tuck and breast reduction will take about 4 hours and can be performed together.  If you are otherwise healthy and only modestly overweight, the surgery would likely be appropriate.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck and breast reduction risks

+1

Thank you for your question about a tummy tuck and breast reduction.

• A tummy tuck is often done with a breast reduction,
  • Being over weight and a high cholesterol increase the risks,
  • Being young reduces them,
  • Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss what is best for you,
  • If you are very over-weight and/or cholesterol very high, one operation at a time may be best for you. Surgical risk rises with length of anesthesia,
  • Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tummy Tuck and Breast Reduction at the Same Time

+1

This is a commonly done combination procedure for patients in good health.Although you mention being overweight, how much will have some bearing.

The risks, particularyl post-op healing issues are magnified in patients with a BMI over 30. Although death would be exceedingly unlikely, other risks are high enough that most surgeons would encourage weight loss first to make the procedures safer, and to improve the outcome as well.

A consult with a plastic surgeon, and an evaluation by your physician will help plan out a strategy to minimize risks. Best wishes.

Combined procedures

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS