Can I go on a long hike 6 months after my Facelift?

I'm getting a lower face and neck lift on February 25th. My husband and I are planning on hiking the Coast to Coast walk across England (190 miles) in August. Is this feasible or foolhardy? I'm 52 and in good shape. Thanks!

Six months is more than enough time to resume full athletic activity after a facelift.

+2
In my practice you would be permitted to take a hike within a week or so the operation. Generally by 3 to 6 weeks full athletic activity is permitted.

Hiking after facelift

+2
Thanks for your question!
you should definitely be ready for your trip in England by August if your surgery is in February.  Good luck to you!

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after a facelift

+2
The typical recovery for a facelift is 10-14 days. I usually allow my patients to return to work at about 2 weeks and exercise about 3 weeks postop. Six months is certainly enough time for you to have healed and allow you go on your trip without any limitations in your activity.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lots of great answers

+2
You are good to go with any of the answers! In my office nothing strenous for 2 weeks then slowly get to more and back to normal at 2 months! Have  a great trip!!!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after a facelift

+2
Hi. You should be able to resume everyday activities 7-10 days after a facelift, and exercise after 3 weeks  without problems. At 6 months there will be no problems at all. All the best for your surgery.

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Exercising after a facelift?

+2
Most patients are able to resume exercising 3 weeks after a facelift. Barring delayed healing which would be rare, there should be no reason that you could not go on an extensive hike 6 months after a facelift assuming you have no other underlying limiting medical conditions that would prevent it..

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Facelift

+2
I allow my patients to return to most normal activities within 3-4 days after a facelift and strenuous exercise after several weeks. The only real risk of exercise is that the increases arterial and venous pressure can cause swelling or bleeding under the flap. The vessels are well sealed by 2 weeks. You will have regained all your preoperative energy by 2 months. Therefore, you should have no problem due to the facelift with your trip six months postoperatively.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Activity after facelift

+2
After a facelift, be sure to follow your physician's instructions.  These instructions usually involve limited activity for the first few days to weeks.  In most cases, you can resume normal activity after 4-6 weeks.    

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hiking after facelift

+2
At 6 months post op even the Coast to Coast walk would not preclude you from having a face and neck lift. Wind and low temperatures may give you hypersensation around the scars but in August in the UK you should be fine.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Can hiking be done 6 months after a facelift?

+2
I do not see any reason why you could not go hiking 6 months after a facelift.  It is always best to check with your particular surgeon though, as he or she may have certain protocols for after surgery.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon