Will 280cc Be Too Small? (photo)

I am 5'9, 146 pounds. have had a weight loss of 90lbs over the past 3 years. I have lost significant volume. My surgeon says based on my frame, the largest implant he is willing to give me is 280cc...he wants to do a low profile, under the muscle. I am worried this is small and that my breats will still appear 'saggy' with a low profile.I would like to achieve a full C or small D. I am going back to see him next week to address my concerns Any thoughts, or questions I should be asking my surgeon? Will be getting a lift as well.

280cc too small?

+2

Hello. The most important factors for determining the size of implants that could be used on a patient include width of the base of the breast, the size of your thorax and the amount of breast tissue and skin you have. Once a surgeon has this information he could better educate you on what type of implants would work best for you. You definitely need a lift as well so I’m happy to hear that you are open to having one. While 280 cc seems like a small implant the lift will make a huge difference and a large implant can be dangerous.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Issues with breast implants

+2

First of all, when you have had massive weight gain and loss, the tissue elasticity is destroyed permanently and this eliminates the ability to get a full C/D look that will hold up in the upper pole.  The bigger the implant the more it will drop down and look matronly.  On the other hand, you need a breast lift looking at the photos and an implant alone will not do that for you.  Maybe seek a few other opinions.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Will 280cc Be Too Small?

+1

Probably, but there's a limit as to how big one can go particularly when a lift is being performed at the same time.  Some surgeons stage these procedures (they do the lift first and then, 6-12 months later, the implants).  You can always get a larger implant later on but it's important not to have too much tension on the incision lines as they heal, and a large implant can have that exact effect.  Your surgeon may have that thought in mind when discussing the size; you may have to leave it his or her hands as an intra-operative decision.

Good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

The best way to determine breast implant size is to try them on in a bra. You also can measure your chest wall and match it to the implant width. Discuss this with you plastic surgeon.BTW, a lift may be in order.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Will 280cc Be Too Small?

+1

ALL your concerns seem very valid to me. Therefore I might suggest to seek other IN PERSON opinions.

280 cc Implant Too Small

+1

The average implant placed in the US is 350 cc.  So, yes, 280 cc is a small implant.   I think that you could probably proceed with a larger implant, but you will need a lift to help with the areolar position and the skin envelope.  You should be aware that massive weight loss patients do tend to have more problems with maintenance of implant position long term.  Also, the breast ptosis tends to return at an earlier point in time.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

When doctors tell you what size is best...

+1

is a concept I just don't understand.  Patients should be making this decision with the guidance of their surgeon.  External sizers help clear a lot of confusion and in my years, have never failed to give a patient what they wanted.  And with your weight loss, your skin has lost much of its elasticity and a lift must be considered if you wish to have the 'best' result possible.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift would be the first step

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. You have extra skin and low nipple position. You would need lift with or without implants and much larger implants.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implants after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on yoru weight loss. It does look like you will need a lift as well with your breast augmentation.

Will 280cc Be Too Small?

+1

Yes, it will be small, but your breast is saggy, and the areola has different height.

Spanish translation provided by doctor:

Si es pequeno, pero usted tiene mamas ptosicas y las areolas estan a diferente altura. 

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon