280cc or 300cc... and Which Profile Type?

I am 5'1", about 105 lbs, breast measurement is 9.5". I have 2 children. My PS recommened that I get submuscular, smooth, round, high profile implants with a CC volume of 280 - 300. I cant decide which of the two is better for my body. I am also concerned that round, high profile implants will look very unnatural. PLEASE ADVISE!! My surgery is 4 days away....Post-Op expectations: Not too large not too small with the most natural look possible. I would like to be a small C.

Understanding Your Options: Ask your Surgeon

+2

Your questions are good ones and are best addressed in consultation with your surgeon.

Though 20cc will hardly make the difference between just right and too big (or too small!), you have some reasonable concerns about shape, and getting a particular look. High profile implants are useful for a fuller rounder breast, not necessarily a "natural look."

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so you can be confident about your choice.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Implant dimensions for a natural look

+2

You need to decide on your priorities: for a 'natural' look- the implant base diameter must fit within the base width of your breast, with at least some 'room to spare'. This is THE most important consideration for a natural result. A 'high profile' implant merely stuffs more volume into a smaller implant footprint- nothing 'natural' about that. Call up your plastic surgeon today and have him go over implant sizing with you.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast Enhancement

+1
The difference between your implant sizes is a few sips of a can of soda, you would not be able to notice the difference so choose the larger and enjoy

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Implant Selection Process

+1

By placing your implant under your muscle, the projection will be decreased.  Therefore, I think a high profile implant is a wise choice.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant sizing

+1

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.
2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.
3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.
4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

20 cc is not enough to notice in a breast implant

+1

You truly won't be able to tell the difference between a 280 cc implant and a 300 cc implant, so don't stress about that part.  As far as the implant profile goes, you need to have the one that fits your chest width.  The measurement you gave isn't useful (9.5"?), so I can only guess which implant works for you. If you are as petite as I'm imagining, then a high profile implant will be narrow enough to fit well onto your chest wall.  A small enough size will still look quite natural (280 or 300--either one is a modest size). 

Carmen Kavali, MD

Implant Size Differences

+1

I hope you are recovering well and not fretting over whether you chose 280 or 300... they difference is so small that it shouldn't even be appreciable (4 tsp).  Focus on healing and following your surgeon's instructions and I wish you the best in achieving the look that you wanted.  Regardless, you will be fuller and larger and that is guaranteed.  I hope your distance between your breasts is satisfactory to you.  Enjoy your new shape and hoping it fulfulls all of your desires!

Curtis Wong, MD

High profile implants

+1

For patients with a narrow chest, an HP implant is a great choice.  As for the volume this is reviewed carefully with patients prior to surgery in my office.

High profile implants

+1

From your measurements, you sound petite.  High profile implants are sometimes necessary to achieve the desired cup size when your chest is narrow.  That said, the larger the implant, the rounder it may look.  Some patients find this desireable, some find this unatural. 

David A. Lickstein, MD

Stop worrying!

+1

Obviously you are getting a high profile implant.  We are basically taking about a tablespoon of difference and a tenth of a millimeter difference in projection and width.  If you are that concerned see your doctor asap and discuss your concerns.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon