I'm 28 Years Old, Am 4'9 & Weigh 90lbs. Can I Get a Tummy Tuck?

I'm a 28 year old mother of two. I have an active job as a gym teacher and work out about 5 times a week. No matter what I do, my belly fat/skin remains; it is really disheartening. I only weigh 90 lbs and am 4'9. I don't exercise to loose weight but to keep up with the active job I have. I want to get a tummy tuck to get rid of the loose skin and get implants since my breasts deflated after nursing two babies. Random question but I am wondering if I can even GET the surgery since I am so small.

Height is not a factor in Mommy Makeover

+1

Height is not a factor in deciding if you are a good candidate for a mommy makeover.  Weight is more of a factor and needs to be stable for at least 6 months.  Also, you will need to be finished with child bearing before undergoing a tummy tuck.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Too Small for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

The fact that you are 4ft 9in does not matter. You appear to be slim and very healthy and active, but you have loose skin on your tummy. 

Based on this information you are very probably an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. 

The type of tummy tuck can only be decided by a detailed consultation with you Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck with your results!

John Silverton, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Candidate If Small Person?

+1

Thank you for the question. Your size is definitely not a contraindication to proceeding with “mommy makeover” surgery.  As a matter of fact, based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate. Of course, precise advice would require in-person consultation.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals carefully.

I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about undergoing body contouring surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

+1

I think your goals for mommy makeover are very reasonable.  I have a lot of patients who are short (shorter than you), and this does not present any challenges.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year.   Look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to determine the plastic surgeon who can produce the results you would like.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck

+1
If you have excess skin and some fat this can be removed by a tummy tuck. Excercise does not tighten skin. After examination, one would be able to tell you where the scars are going to be and the condition of the muscles. Breast can be adressed at the same time with augmentation or lift /augmentation. These days you have new cohesive gell implants if chosen properly should give you good results

Mommy makeover.....tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

The answer is YES.   There is no reason that a healthy low weight mom cannot have a tummy tuck to tighten up the muscles and take away the excess skin that has become loose from pregnancy stretch.

I have performed many tummy tucks on petite women and your requests are no different that a mom that is heavier.  Remember it is not the weight that is so important in a body contouring mommy makeover.....it is the shape and contour.  That is the win.

Go for it.  You will be very happy. 

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Without an exam and photos, it is hard to answer your question. I would start with a consult and exam with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, and then decide on your course of action. In my past, a petite patient can do just as well as anyone  else. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck on a short, slim patient

+1

Hi. Thank you for your question. Without actually evaluating you, is really hard to tell if it is possible for you to get an abdominoplasty. Generally speaking, height and weight is not a contraindication to get surgery done, if you meet the requirements.

The tummy tuck is a procedure designed to correct the laxity of the abdominal wall after the pregnancy, limited not only to the rectus abdominii muscles diastasis, but also to the stretch marks and excess of abdominal skin. If you have that laxity, then you could qualify for the procedure.

I recommend you contact a board certified plastic surgeon, to get a better assessment of your current condition.

Rafael E. Estevez Hernandez, MD