I'm a 28 Year Old Male and I Used to Weigh 270 Lbs. I Got As Low As 145 Lbs. What Should I Do For Loose Skin?

At 18, I weighed 270 lbs. and I changed my lifestyle completely to get down to as low as 145 in 2009. Since then I've maintained around 165-170 in the summers and 175-185 in the winters. I lift weights and know the healthy diet now and am going to be in this weight range forever. I'm wondering if I should get lipo or skin removal in multiple areas of my body (lower stomach, hips, butt, inner thighs etc.)? I already look great and people can't believe I was fat but I want to be tight everywhere.

+2

If you have loose skin, then a tummy tuck may be in order.   Pictures would help assess this or an exam would be necessary.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to determine who will be able to achieve the results you seek.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Body Lifts, Tummy Tuck Good Procedure for the right person

+1

How to Get Rid of Sagging Skin?

It is difficult to give you advice without any pictures or an examination. If you "already look great:" then I would not do any surgery. On the other hand redundant skin can be removed. Remember you will be trading visible scars for tightness. 

Speak with a board certified plastic surgeon who can more accurately assess you and give you the best option.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Excess skin after weight loss

+1

If you have loose skin, a tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck or body lift may be required.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Body contouring after weight loss?

+1

Hello and thanks for your post. I suspect liposuction will not work to tighten the skin. Instead, I believe a plastic surgery operation that removes lose skin will be the best. Many patients who lose 100 pounds or more choose a body lift, but some are good candidates for tummy tuck. See an experienced plastic surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

What Should I Do For Loose Skin?

+1

Lipo is not a solution for loose skin--removal of the excess skin is. Commonest would be a tummy tuck, perhaps extended around the back to improve also the back and buttocks. 

Photos would be helpful. Please consider posting some. Best will be an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

What to do for Loose Skin?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is difficult to tell without personally evaluating you, but people who have especially slack skin in their midsection and abdominal muscle weakness need more than what diet and exercise alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women and men who've lost a great deal of weight and older people with loose skin due to age, for example. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new position.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

What Should I Do For Loose Skin?

+1

It is difficult to definitively give you advice without an exam and/or pictures.  However, on the average, a patient who has gone through the weight loss that you have, has multiple areas of concern in their bodies.  The area of most concern for most patients is their lower trunk which includes a hanging belly apron, hanging pubic area, droopy thighs, droopy buttocks, and maybe flank excess.  In order to treat this as a whole, a circumferential tummy tuck, or what I prefer to call a belt lipectomy, is needed.  The second area of concern is the chest with hanging breast tissue and upper back rolls, along with upper arm excess in many patients.  If all of these areas are involved, then an upper body lift is required.  In some patients only the arms are a problem and a brachioplasty, or arm reduction is required. The third area of concern for some patients is the thigh region.  This area often also requires a thigh reduction procedure.  

It is important to note that once you are done with your weight loss, skin will not contract any more.  Remember that skin and fat do not contain any muscle, so you can not exercise your excess skin away.  

Last but not least, it is important to note that the surgeries required to treat the problems mentioned above are fairly complex and are not often performed by most plastic surgeons.  You should seek the services of someone with expertise in massive weight loss body contouring who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Al Aly, MD

Weght loss

+1
That is a great achievement to loose that amount of weight. The excess skin needs excision, lax skin cannot be tightened any other way. In some areas you may still have some fat deposits and may need liposuction, which can be done at the same time of the skin excision.

Body lift

+1

Hi there,

Congratulations on your weight loss. It is a great effort.

Unfortunately one of the unintended consequences of significant weight loss such as yours, is that you are left with excess skin. Most people in your situation experience the same problem.

In most cases weight training and liposuction will not improve the situation and  you need to have skin removed. From the sounds of things you would benefit from a body lift or belt lipectomy. This will tighten your tummy, hips and butt and possibly your thighs. It is an operation which has a very high satisfaction rate for patients such as yourself.

I suggest you make an appointment to see a plastic surgeon to find out exactly what can be achieved.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon