I'm 28 and Plan on Waiting at Least 3 More Years Before Having Kids. Is Having a Tummy Tuck Now a Waste?

I thought about waiting until after having kids to have a tummy tuck but that has not worked out for me (pregnancy is difficult for me to acheive) so instead I have decided that I want to enjoy my young body and fix the bump and frowny face belly button I have had my whole life. I have also decided to wait on trying to have kids for at least 3 years. Is getting a tummy tuck now a good decision?

Pregnancy after Tummy tuck.

+3

If the appearance of your abdomen bothers you, fix it.  You may need some secondary procedure after kids.

In the event you don't have children, you are finished with this concern.  Enjoy life.

Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy?

+1

Generally, I tell patients who are planning on having kids to wait to have the tummy tuck surgery because when you get pregnant, the abdominal muscles get stretched out and could damage the tummy tuck repair.

If you are not sure if you will have kids and if you understand that after having kids, you may have to re-do your tummy tuck and you are OK with that decision - and your current tummy bothers you, then go ahead and have the surgery.

Ultimately, it's your call.

Tummy tuck best after completing all pregnancies

+1

Thank you, this is an excellent question.

I do not recommend a tummy tuck if you are considering future pregnancies.  Unless money is no object, I suggest you wait until after you have your children before you go through the expense and pain and possible complications of an abdominoplasty.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

+1

On something as big as a TT I would wait if you are planning on having kids within 3 years, and you are still very young so I would be very sure you are done with kids before a TT.....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck before having children?

+1

There are 3 or different degrees of tummy tuck. You don't need the complete tummy tuck with muscle repair if you've never been pregnant, but you will surely benefit from the mini ($3872) with fat reduction, skin tightening and a happy new belly button. It may even help you get pregnant!

Dr Foster 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before pregnancy

+1

I believe that is best to wait until you are finished having children  as your abdominal muscles

are frequently stretched with pregnancy. If you have an abdominoplasty prior to pregnancy it is 

likely to relapse, and you may be dissatisfied with the long term result.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck before pregnancy

+1
I'm sorry that you are having difficulties in becoming oregnant. Without a photo, it is impossible to determine whether you are a candidate for tummy tuck or liposuction now. Correction of the umbilicus and a pocket of fat around it would not necessarily require an abdominoplasty. At this time, it is reasonable to explore your cosmetic surgery options so you can be better informed to make a plan. Keep in mind that fertility treatment can be very costly so you may need to examine your priorities before reaching a decision on whether to pursue cosmetic surgery.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

I would wait

+1

Maybe you are a candidate for an abdominal liposuction now, then wait till you finish having children and then, do the tummy tuck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Young people dont need tummy tuck

+1

seeing your photos, as you are a young  girl i would rather choose not so invasive surgery besides a good ultrasonic lypo will solve your problem because  this lypo  is ambulatory and  quick recovery

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Is Having a Tummy Tuck Now a Waste?

+1

I understand your wish to have a youthful looking abdomen now, but in the big picture I think it is better to wait if you are pretty sure you will be getting pregnant. You can certainly have a normal pregnancy after a tummy tuck, but you may not be able to correct all the changes of pregnancy if you have the surgery first.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD