27, Male, Losing Hair Severely. Should I Opt for a Hair Transplant?

5 months back my hair was very healthy. Strong silky & not ONE strand ever broke. Density was great (no scalp visible anywhere). When I joined univ changes occurred. 1. Intense amounts of stress, dire & prolonged lack of sleep 2. Poor diet often skipping meals, EXCESSIVE chicken consumption 3. Terrible shower water quality (loads of iron). My room+shower is full of hair, my hair is shockingly thin and limp, my scalp is showing near crown and the front sides, & the hair line has receded (CLEARLY)

Hereditary Hair Loss Accelerated by Stress

+2

Most likely stress played a major factor in the advancement of your hair loss. The diet can also play a major factor in hair health. Generally this doesn't cause hereditary hair loss but makes it happen sooner. Propecia may be a solution for you. A renowned colleague of mine, Dr. Gary Hitzig has developed ACell + PRP injections to prevent hair loss in men and women with proven results or rescuing miniaturizing hairs and protecting hair follicles and leads to new growth.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hair Loss Due to Environmental Factors

+2

Before taking any restorative action, you need to be certain of the cause. It sounds like you may be prone to male pattern baldness, which has been induced by environmental factors. It could also be purely environmental factors at hand. Overall wellness plays a larger factor in skin and hair health than many people realize. Stress, lack of sleep, and poor diet all deprive the body of the nutrients it needs to thrive. Thus, if your body is malnourished, it’s going to hoard all vitamins and minerals to more vital organs in order to survive, and expendable parts, such as hair, suffer worse. You MUST take care of yourself to stay healthy and thus have healthy hair growth. I recommend taking a B-complex vitamin to help your body cope with the stress, improving your diet, and taking a daily multi-vitamin to supplement your diet. Also, strive to get adequate sleep. Your hair may grow back just by taking these simple steps. If it does not, I encourage you to consult a hair loss specialist.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

IMHO you should consider Propecia use ASAP and see if this helps regain hair for the following year.  If not, you should have several consults regarding hair transplants.

27 Year Old Male With Hair Loss

+1

The sudden onset of hair loss can be related to stress or medical problems, such as thyroid imbalance. Medical evaluation by a physician experienced in treating hair loss should be done. I don't recommend surgery until the final pattern and extent of baldness can be determined because alopecia is progressive and the success of treatment with transplants or the Fleming/Mayer flap depends on hair supply and demand. Everyone is not a good candidate for surgery. Propecia is appropriate at this time.

Hair loss treatment for hair loss in the 20's.

+1
It ain't over til the fat lady sings. You need to do nothing other than tring propecia for 1 year for the crown loss. I have never seen good results with Rogaine in 35 years of hair loss surgery. You won't know how much hair you will have to work with that is permanent hair. Then you can decide on whether hair transplants or the Fleming-Mayer Flap is best for you.