27 year old male with pretty big under eye bags. Am I a good candidate for surgery? (Photo)

For the past couple of years I have been continuosly been made aware of how tired I look and if I have been resting/sleeping well. It really has taken a toll on me. I've tried from cool cucumbers and many eye creams and products to sleeping with more pillows but nothing works. This is something that has shaken my self-confidence a bit and I've decided I want to deal with it. My major concerns are that I do not want to look overdone or facelifted, and my highest priority is a natural look.

You can get your eye bags removed with a completely natural look and no trace of surgery with a transconjunctival blepharoplasty

+2
Based on the photos, it appears you have lower eyelid fat prolapse. Lower eyelid fat prolapse means that the fat normally around your eyes has pushed forward creating a bulge. That bulge is creating this continuous look of puffiness under your eyes. After 20 years of being an oculoplastic cosmetic surgeon, I have heard of a lot of my patients say that they tired of looking tired and it’s completely understandable.

Do-it-yourself remedies such as cucumber slices, tea bags and topical creams don’t work. The definitive procedure is a surgical procedure called lower eyelid blepharoplasty. For most of our younger patients, I perform a transconjuctival blepharoplasty where I address the fat pockets under the eyes from the inside of the eyelid. This way we avoid an external scar, and maintain and preserve the anatomy of the eyelid. At times we combine it with other procedures such as platelet-rich plasma to help with skin quality under the eyes.

It is my opinion that these procedures be performed under local anesthesia with LITE™ sedation which we do in our practice. We actually trademarked a name called LITE™ anesthesia. This helps in quick recovery and minimizes the trauma and stress to your body and adds to the safety and natural appearance of the eyelid.

The quest for natural appearance basically should look as if you never had the bags. When people look at you, they shouldn’t know that you had surgery. They should say that you look good or that there’s something that’s changed but can't figure out what it is. Meeting with qualified and experienced cosmetic surgeons is an appropriate next step for you. Look at the doctor’s before and after pictures and then move forward with the procedure. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf hosted through YouTube. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Good candidate for lower eyelid surgery?

+2
Hello and thank you for your question.
You appear to be a great candidate for a lower eyelid blepharoplasty to remove the fat pads under your eyes. I routinely perform this procedure with amazing results by making an incision inside the eyelid that no one can ever see! I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

27 year old with under eye bags

+2
Under eye bags sometimes can be hereditary in nature and occur in people in their 20's.  Generally speaking, bags under the eyes can be improved with surgery or fillers.  The surgical option deals with the fat causing the bags and tends to be a more long term solution.  Fillers can be placed under the bags to help camouflage them and improve the area, but the result is short term.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid bags?

+2
Most expert experienced artistic plastic surgeons have a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical, at their disposal to produce excellent cosmetic results in the appropriately selected patient: temporary fillers, micro-fat grafts, and blepharoplasties. There is no one best procedure. Each has benefits and drawbacks and depends on desired outcome and individual anatomy.

Fillers can help improve the cosmetic appearance but you will get only a temporary and limited improvement with them. A better and long standing correction would be achieved with a blepharoplasty of the lower lids: Conservatively contouring the bulging fat pads, which are generally inherited, unrelated to weight, and tend to protrude more with time, and smoothing the tear troughs with micro-fat grafts or fat repositioning.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon