What Can I Expect For Healing Time For A Male Tummy Tuck?

I am a 27 y/o male who has lost roughly 90 lbs, I have maintained my current weight for about the past year, I need an abdominoplasty and have been doing my research though I am curious about the healing time/process. I am an ESL teacher and will be moving over seas late April and didn't know if that would be an option or if I should or should I try to extend the date when I leave.

Male Tummy Tuck Healing Time

+1

Tummy Tuck Recovery Time Schedule
Immediately after surgery, within the first few hours,  patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position.  During the 6 weeks after surgery, strenuous activity and the lifting of more than ten pounds must be avoided.  Many patients are able to return to light work and daily activities within 2-3 weeks of surgery.  Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation may take several months. Abdominoplasty recovery can be in some cases slow and uncomfortable requiring more time for a full recovery. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. Sports will be more comfortable after 6 weeks. Healing is similar between the sexes.

Male tuumy tuck healing time

+1

Generally, it takes two to three weeks for  wound healing and suture removal to become complete.  I advise my patients to return to normal activities over the following three weeks gradually and carefully.  I allow full activities at 6 weeks post-op.

Stephen E. Zucker, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Healing time

+1

The amount of time required before resuming normal activities depends on the type of tummy tuck .  If you only have excess skin removed ( sin only tummy tuck),the recovery is faster and you can be in the gym in 2-3 weeks.  If you have a diastasis repair, the normal time to begin resumption of activities is about 5-6 weeks...good luck.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Recovery for Male Tummy Tuck

+1

On average, 4-6 weeks is a safe time period to be resuming your normal activities.  You may still have to watch the heavy lifting, etc. but otherwise should be OK.  Keep in mind that every patient is different with how they heal and some take longer than others.

Have this discussion with your surgeon and follow his/her advice.

Best Wishes!

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+1

Hi there-

Based on the time line you describe, understanding that 6 weeks are recommended by most surgeons between surgery and resumption of all activities, I would say that as long as you have your procedure by the beginning of March, you should be all set by late April.

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Male abdominoplasty

+1

You should expect a good result from this type of surgery if you have an abundant amount of skin laxity following your weight loss.  Your time for recovery may often be no more than one month, but there are a few exceptions to this.   I have had three male patients have this surgery with me in the last several months, and all were able to resume normal activities in one month.  Always check with your Plastic Surgeon to give you further guidance about this.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Healing Time and Recovery from Male Tummy Tuck

+1

I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity  for at least 5 weeks after tummy tuck. After 5-6weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients to notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed.

You will be walking flexed at your waist for 5-7 days.   You should be able to walk upright in 7-10 days.  Most of my patients are comfortable drive (they no longer need pain pills) around 10 days after surgery.  And most of my patients are comfortable to return to a desk job around 2 weeks after surgery.

Hope this helps.
Dr.Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Three to four weeks necessary for recovery from tummy tuck

+1

I usually recommend a recovery period of at least three to four weeks for tummy tuck surgery, regardless of whether male or female.  Then no heavy exercise or lifting for as long as two to three months after surgery.  Usually a drain is placed which comes out in one week.  There may be some sutures around the belly button which stay in for 10 days to two weeks.  Then there is a gradual period of increased activity after one week until three months.  However, travelling is allowed after three to four weeks.

James Tang, MD

One month is plenty of time to recover from a tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

The recovery after tummy tucks has gotten easier with the use of pain pumps and internal quilting sutures that prevent seromas and almost eliminate the need for drains.  Most patients are moving about freely in three weeks or less and exercise without restriction at six weeks.  As long as you have surgery by mid March, you should be fine.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)