Which is Best for Me, 265cc Moderate Vs 300cc High Profile Cohesive Silicone Gel?

Hi Doctors. I'm 5'3", 108 lbs and I have a petite frame. My Surgeon have narrowed down to 2 sizes for me to choose for my BA. 265cc moderate profile vs. 300cc high profile. My breast width is 11.2cm. I'm wondering if I can get your opinion on which would look best for me? I'd like a natural look, I don't want them to look fake (ie. balls). Also since the cc's between the 2 sizes aren't that much of a difference (only 35cc), would I be able to achieve a C cup with both these sizes? Thanks!

Breast implant "look"

+2

The difference between these 2 implants is in the profile more than in the volume.  The HP is meant to look fuller and less natural and the moderate to look truly natural.

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Wait till you are having surgery

+1

I tell my patients to bring a photograph from a magazine of the breast they wish to have.  Give this to your doctor and let him match the picture during surgery.  In this way, he is not limited to just two implant sizes.  I guess wrong 50% of the time but never at the end of surgery.  A picture is worth a      words.

Gary H. Manchester, MD (retired)

You can look natural either way!

+1

The difference between those implants is 35cc which is about a tablespoon.  This difference is hard to tell once they are under the muscle and breast.  I always use high profile implants to get the most projection but either way, you will be able to achieve a natural look.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants have more projection.

+1

The difference in CCs is close.  High Profile tend to have more projection than moderate plus, which are wider.  You should see which looks best on you. 

+1

Unfortunately you are asking a question that requires an examination to really answer. The differences in the two implants you describe are subtle and it is not possible to give you an answer without actually seeing what you look like. I would advise you to try on both implants and see which you prefer. If you try them on you will be able to judge the subtle differences and your surgeon will be able to help guide you in the right direction.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast implant specifics

+1

The specifics of your breast implant surgery must be determined by your surgeon and you in consultation.  Anything outside of that isn't very helpful.  The smaller your implant the more natural it will look since you are very very small framed.  If natural is what you want and no "ball" look is what you are looking for, the larger you go, the closer you'll be to just that.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Implant choices

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say what would be best for you.  Your are right the cc difference is not much.

Breast implant

+1

Best person to answer your question is your surgeon as he/ she has examined you and knows the anatomy of the breasts and underlying chest wall. The final outcome will depend upon your existing shape of breast, skin and breast thickness, elasticity of the skin, positioning of implant and finally the type of implant. As Mr Richard said the high profile will look fuller and probably more projecting, where as moderate profile will give a more natural look withou much projection.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon