If I Dont Have Insurance Can I Make Payments on Gynecomastia Surgery?

I am in pain its hard to workout anymore it wakes me out of my sleep most nights and also i went on the 10k run and after mile 6 my nipples were bleeding this is effecting my life and future in the NAVY i would be greatful for some help or advice do i need to buy insurance? try to find a doctor that takes payments? or jus go out of the states????? plz HELP!

Correction of gynecomastia generally not covered by insurance.

Hi.

1)  There are companies like CareCredit that make loans for cosmetic surgery.

2)  You can also go to the plastic surgery clinic of a teaching hospital.  This is usually a safe environment, and it should cost you $2000 to $3000.

Financing a plastic surgical procedure

Most plastic surgeons are not going to accept payments.  There are programs available, some with zero interest for one year such as Care Credit that are available if you want to finance your procedure. 

Financing Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi NavyDawg89,

Thanks for your post. Most plastic surgery practices will not accept payments after the fact. However, in my practice we allow patients to make payments over a period of months leading up to their surgery and then proceed with surgery once the payments have been made in full.  Other options are care credit and other financing companies that many plastic surgery offices offer to patients.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

In our practice, we use Care Credit as well as other companies; they have been used by our patients with no problems.  They do have different rates so please make sure you get all of the information you need prior to signing up with any financing company.

Generally speaking, it is always in patients' best interests to achieve a certain degree of financial stability prior to undergoing elective surgery of any type. Patients should also keep in mind that additional surgery may be necessary in the short or long term, following the primary procedure that is being performed;  this additional surgery may be associated  out-of-pocket expenses. Again, best to achieve a physical, emotional, psychosocial, and financial “stable state” prior to considering elective plastic surgery. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia - financing

It would be highly unusual for insurance to cover common gynecomastia as is considered a cosmetic procedure by most. Care Credit and other groups offer finance for cosmetic procedures

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Gynecomastia Payments

Our office requires payments to me made in full prior to each patient's surgery. If a payment plan is the best option for the patient, we would recommend the patient to apply for Care Credit and we will accept this as payment.

Gynecomastia and insurance

Unfortunately insurance companies consider gynecomastia surgery an elective procedure and in most cases will not cover it. Most surgeons do not offer payment plans but many will be able to help you get a loan through Care Credit or a similar finance company. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

If I Dont Have Insurance Can I Make Payments on Gynecomastia Surgery...

Many men may experience discomfort with gynecomastia.  Unfortunately the surgery generally is not covered by insurance because it is considered cosmetic and not medically necessary. Some offices offer in-house financing while almost all offices offer financing through companies such as Care-Credit. Most doctors prefer the card be swiped about a week prior to surgery, while leaving you 6-36 months to pay off the surgery at your own leisure. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon when scheduling surgery.

Plastic Surgery Financing

Many physicians offer financing, most commonly through CareCredit. You can find someone who does this at CareCredit.com. The procedure may be less expensive through a university, and some of them also offer financing. There is also the option of saving on a weekly or monthly basis into a dedicated account like you were making a car payment and then using the money for the surgery. This is not as immediate but avoids the finance charges.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Payment for gynecomastia surgery

Insurance companies have been denying payment for gynecomastia as a cosmetic procedure for quite a few years so don't rush out to buy health insurance for this reason (although it is certainly a good thing to have for obvious reasons).  Many plastic surgeons will accept credit cards, Care Credit patient financing or allow you to "bank" money until the procedure is fully paid for but not to operate first and get paid after the fact.

Robert L. Kraft, MD