Is 26 Too Young for Ptosis and Can it be Fixed Without Surgery?

I started to have a droop on my upper right eye, (seemingly within just a week!) then a year later the left started to do it and now the right seems twice as bad. I am only 27, I have no idea what could be causing this or how to fix it. Thanks!

At 26 you need to find out if there is a medical reason to be having the ptosis

+1

At 26 you need to find out if there is a medical reason to be having the ptosis.  It could be a muscular problem which might be treated with medication.  After determining that the ptosis is not medically related or doesn’t require medical intervention, there are different options for treatment.  Sometimes surgery is indicated.  But with a new onset of ptosis in a young person, I would definitely see someone promptly to make sure there is no medical reason and then you can look at options for correction, if necessary.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis requires careful evaluation

+1

From the picture, it does appear that you have mild ptosis (eyelid droop), left greater than right. You also have mild skin excess. You and your surgeon need to clarify what is really bothering you. Is it the slightly lower position of the left eyelid (the ptosis) -- or the skin folds on the upper lid (the skin excess)?

Correction of the skin excess can be achieved under local anesthesia in the office using a skin-only blepharoplasty; this may slightly improve the ptosis by "unloading" the eyelid (removing the weight of the excess skin). A ptosis repair is more complex; there are several methods, all of which tighten the levator mechanism (the eyelid muscle's attachment to the upper eyelid internally). If your vision is not affected by the ptosis, you may want to remove the excess skin with the blepharoplasty and observe the ptosis for now.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to email other questions or come to Beachwood for a consultation.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Mild ptosis and excess upper eyelid skin

+1

As mentioned in other responses, you have a mild droopiness [ptosis] of the upper lids, left greater than right. In addition, there is a subtle difference between the upper eyelid skin folds that could be addressed with a conservative skin excision.

There is no subsitute for an "in-person" consulation with an ASOPRS oculoplastics surgeon.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

26 years old is not too young for ptosis repair if you truly have ptosis

+1
It does seem like you have ptosis, but you really should have a complete work-up by an Oculoplastic Surgeon. If it is ptosis then it can be fixed and 26 would not be too young. There are no good non-surgical options for the correction of ptosis. If there is an underlying problem causing the ptosis (i.e. some eyelid inflammation) then treating the underlying problem can help the ptosis.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis needs surgery to be fixed

+1

You have some mild signs of ptosis of the upper lids in the picture.  Hard to tell from the picture if it is bad enough to warrent surgery.  Unfortunately the only way to fix it would be surgery.  Do you wear contact lenses?  Sometimes pulling the lids to put the lenses in can cause ptosis in someone  younger than expected.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

There may be no obvious reason for this.

+1

Dear Vbee

You do have some facial asymmetry.  The left upper eyelid is subtly ptotic compared to the right side.  I would recommend a careful work up by an oculoplastic surgeon.  I can recommend Julian Perry in Cleveland or Jill Foster in Columbus.  It is important to go to the right surgeon so that you can be appropriate and accurate advice.