Should I Have a Tummy Tuck Now if I Plan to Have Children?

26 Years Old Black Woman with No Children Considering a Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

I am considering a tummy tuck after losing 80 lbs with the help of a gastric band. I am very unhappy with the unsightly stretch marks on my stomach and was told that abdominoplasty is the only way to get rid of them. I am not in a relationship now and don't think I will have children in the next 5-6 years but having children one day is on my plan. I want to be happy with body while I am young and not wait until I've had my children. Is it really not advisable or should I go for it?

No reason to wait

Since you do not have any plans for pregnancy in the near future, I don't think there is any reason to wait. If you have post-pregnancy changes, that can always be revised in the future. Enjoy your new mid-section!

While it is advisable to wait after you are done having children, you may elect to have the tummy tuck procedure done now, especially if you are not planning to have children any time soon. It will be a great improvement for you after your weight loss and you can always get a revision after you have children . If you are planning to get pregnant in the near future then I would advise you to wait, have all the kids you want, and then, see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Tummy tuck before children

Yes, if you want to get rid of the extra skin/hanging rolls and enjoy the benefits while you are young, then do it now.  But, you should not get plication, more of a panniculectomy than a true tummy tuck.  When I plicate, which means sewing the muscles of your abdomen together in the midline, I use a double row of thick, permanent sutures.  There is no point to doing that if you are planning on having kids later.  You will most likely have to redo that tummy tuck after you have children or if you do any more major weight gains and losses.  And when you know you are not going to have children anymore, then you can have the muscles of your abdomen tightened up or plicated, at that time to give you the slimmest straightest profile.  Hope this helps.

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Massive weight loss and tummy tuck

I am usually a fan of waiting to perform a tummy tuck on patients that are still contemplating becoming pregnant.  However, in massive weight loss patients this is often a different story with more loose skin hanging and requiring circumferential treatment. It is a personal choice.

Advantages/Disadvantages of Tummy Tuck Before Pregnancy

You certainly would benefit from a tummy tuck following your 80 pound weight loss.  You must simply weigh that benefit with the strong liklihood that you would need another tummy tuck following pregnancies in the future.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck prior to pregnancy

In your instance, a tummy tuck may be a reasonable option as long as you are willing to accept the fact that tit may need to be repeated.

Tummy Tuck before pregnancy?

Congratulations on your 80 lb weight loss.   In your situation, as long as you understand that pregnancy may cause a recurrence of your stretchmarks, then a tummy tuck is only a solution that is an investment for your short term future.  Consider the risks and benefits wisely.  You will be trading the stretch marks for a surgical scar, but you may well become more attractive for a significant partner.  You may have to consider a second procedure after childbearing.  Once all the parameters are known, only then can you really know if this project is what you want.

Tummy Tuck before or after kids

Congratulations on your weight loss! You can definitely have a tummy tuck before children, but it is recommended that you wait until you are done being pregnant as it will out your abdomen and reverse the results of the tummy tuck. Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and give you more information about the best course of action.
Typically, candidates for a tummy tuck are patients who are healthy but have EXCESS SKIN OR FAT that does not respond to diet and exercise. Patients who have undergone SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS and have hanging skin, like in your case. Women with loose skin and stretch marks FOLLOWING PREGNANCY. Anyone with LOSS OF SKIN ELASTICITY. Patients who are unable to tighten the abdominal wall with exercise. If you have loose or sagging abdominal wall skin; often associated with relaxation of the anterior abdominal wall muscles (frequently secondary to multiple pregnancies).

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Timing for Tummy Tuck is a Personal Decision

Congratulations on your weight loss. Surgeons will have different preferences when to perform body contouring based on experience and expertise. There is no definitive answer regarding whether it is better to have surgery at this point. If you do, then you may need to have additional surgery post pregnancy. For some patients, the cost in time and money to have multiple surgeries is concerning and for others it is not. Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Getting Rid of Stretchmarks

If your concern is only the stretch marks on your stomach, you can try going the nonsurgical route, as a tummy tuck will only really get rid of the stretch marks below your belly button. Microneedling has helped our patients. It is nonsurgical however results may take a little longer to achieve. If you have the patience and are only concerned about the stretch marks, then it's a good option to consider. Laser treatments can also help. Best of luck!