I Am 26 and Interested in Using Juvederm Under Eyes. Is This a Bad Idea?

I have slight lines under my eyes but I am good at not tanning and staying away from the sun. I went for a Juvederm consultation and they said they'd put the filler at the top of my cheeks and not directly under the eyes. Is this how it should be done? also, I am extremely worried that the filler will stretch out my skin under the eyes making me have to always get a filler (which I do not want). Is this a possibility or?

Botox is better for lines under the eyes

+2

Juvederm is a great product but its not my go to solution for under eye lines.  I much prefer very low doses of Botox which is an off label use of botox for most patients.  Juvederm if used under the eyes can cause a tyndall effect and I see many patients with blue green bumps from poor injections there.  It is reversible with a hyaluronidase injection to dissolve the Juvederm if it happens. 

Paramus Dermatologist

Juvederm for eye wrinkles

+2

Fillers below eyes are recommended if you have a deep tear trough, in other words, a depressed line below the inner corner or your eyes.  It is not going to help wrinkles or fine lines.  If you do have a depressed tear trough, then I do not recommend Juvederm,  I love Juvederm but the only place I do NOT recommend it is below eyes.  Because Juvederm is so hydrophilic (binds water) it lasts a long time and is a great filler, but because the skin below the eyes is so thin, this Juvederm bound to water filler can take on a blue hue, similar to the way swimming pool water looks blue, even though it's not blue but clear.  It's called the Tyndall Effect. 

I prefer Restyiane or Radiesse in the tear troughs.  If it is being injected into your cheeks where the skin is thicker, Juvederm shouldn't be a problem.

To answer your question about fillers stretching your skin out, don't worry.  Normal, everyday facial expressions stretch your skin much more than a filler would, and they obviously don't cause your skin to stay stretched out or sag.  Sun exposure is much more likely to make your skin sag or stretch, so wear your sunglasses and apply your sunscreen!

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for "slight lines" under the eyes

+2

At 26 years of age you may want to start with something easier than a filler under your eyes. We have had a good deal of success with topical medications such as Lumiere by Neocutis. If a filler is needed, Restylane would be a safer choice than Juvederm in that area due to the superficial placement of the product to avoid the risk of a bluish hue. If the lines are bad enough, which it sounds like they are not, for the cheeks I would use a deeper filler like Radiesse instead of Juvederm. Due to the deeper placement of Radiesse, it is much more natural looking as well as longer lasting than Juvederm.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm under eyes

+1

If you have hollowed tear troughs, Restylane is my product of choice to add a small amount of volume.  If you just have fine lines under your eyes, Botox may help you.  You do not need to worry about filler stretching your skin.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Tear Trough Injections

+1

Botox would be a better alternative in this area.  Hyaluronic acid fillers can cause swelling and discoloration in the lower lids that can potentially last a long time.  This type of filler material absorbs water and if injected diffusely in the lower lid tissues, it will often look abnormal. 

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Under Eyes

+1

While it is possible to place juvederm or restylane in te tear through. It needs to be done only by an expert injector.  Poor techniques or improper patient selection can often create bumps in this area.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm Under The Eyes?

+1

I prefer to use restylane in the tear trough over juvederm due to the more hydrophillic nature of juvederm.  This means it tends to absorb more water after it is injected and therefore may cause more swelling or "over correct" the deformity.  Both can be dissolved if you don't like the result.  Make sure you seek out an experienced physician who routinely does this and is board certified in plastic surgery, opthalmology or dermatology. 

Best Wishes,

Dr. Brian Joseph

Brian Joseph, MD

Posting photos would be ideal

+1

Fillers to fill in the hollow region at the junction of the eyelid and cheek is quite safe, even in someone as young as yourself. Restylane is more commonly used. Both Restylane and Juvederm are reversible if it is something that you aren't satisfied with.

Most important is finding a surgeon that is experienced.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm Under Eyes in 26 Year Old

+1

You can have fillers placed in grooves under the eyes despite your youth. I prefer to use Restylane in this area because excessive temporary is less likely. The filler will not stretch the skin because it is placed under the skin over the grooves.

Hollows under eyes in a 26 year old

+1

If you have deep tear troughs (hollows under your eyes) at 26 years of age, it is most likely a genetic lack of fat in this region.  You may have had this "look" even as a teenager and felt or been told you look tired (even after a great night sleep).  The best treatment for this is either Restylane or fat transfer.  Juvederm tends to swell too much, making it a less predictable option. The choice depends on the degree of volume loss in tear trough and upper cheek.  If subtle, the filler would work great. If more advanced and if a longer lasting result is desired, fat transfer can be an excellent option even at your age.  

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon