Can a 25lb Weight Gain Stretch out my Muscle Repair?

I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair in 2007. I am 5'10 and was 150lbs at that time. Over the past four years I have gained about 20-25lbs and I am worried that I stretched out my muscle repair in my abs. I am working on losing the weight now, but still concerned. Thank you for any input!

Effects of a 25lb weight gain on tummy tuck results

+1

Given your dimensions, it is unlikely that a 25 lb weight gain will affect the muscle repair. However, the overall results including the contouring will be adversely affected. With weight loss, this will be reversible. There may be a permanent slight decrease in the tightness of the skin; that is, it may be slightly more lax.

Weight gain after tummy tuck

+1

In the unfortunate event that a patient gains weight after a tummy tuck, the result often suffers.   Unfortunately, if you gain intra-abdominal fat and stretch the overlying muscle/fascia repair, it is difficult to correct these changes without revision surgery.  However, if your changes are confined to the subcutaneous fat, you may be able to improve your result with diet and exercise.     

I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to determine how your result has been affected.   It is very important to maintain a stable weight after a tummy tuck or you may end up unhappy with your longterm results.

Paul S. Gill, MD

+1

It is possible but unlikely. Best to See your surgeon to examine you. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Weight gain effects on muscle repair after tummy tuck

+1

Though 25 pounds is not a great weight gain, it is a significant amount to carry around, and if you tend to accumulate intra-abdominal fat you could jeopardize muscle repair. Your abdomen will respond to visceral or inside abdominal fat by relaxing and spreading the muscle. As weight is lost, just like after pregnancy, for some the muscle will not return to its original contour. Time to get serious about your investment and hit the gym.

peterejohnsonmd

Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is unlikely that a 25 pound weight gain with your height would have a significant effect on the muscle repair done during your TT.  Some women carry their weight more on the interior of their abdomen than in their abdominal wall.  If this is your situation, it would have a bit more of an effect on the muscle, but still probably negligible.

John Whitt, MD

Weight gain and tummy tuck results

+1

Your 25 lbs weight gain may affect your tummy tuck results.  However, it depends on where you gain the weight.  Yes, if you gain the weight in your abdominal region, then your mucles can stretch out.   Remember, no plastic surgery procedure is a substitute for a healthy lifestyle.   So you are not off the hook for a balance diet and exercise.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Stretching out a muscle repair after a tummy tuck

+1

This depends on where you gained your weight. If you tend to gain weight inside your abdomen, then it is possible (but not likely) that some stretching of the muscle repair may have happened. However, if you tend to gain the weight throughout your body, then the muscle repair should stay intact.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

25 pound weight gain after a tummy tuck

+1

This amount of weight gain can certainly affect the result you had and may ruin it from stretching the muscle repair out.  All you can do is lose the weight and exercise and see what happens.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck muscles and weight gain

+1

Certainly with some weight gain, fat can accumulate internally and push on the muscle repair. It may impact your diastasis treatment.

TUMMY VIDEO: Can a 25lb Weight Gain Stretch out my Muscle Repair? APPLE OR PEAR?

+1

This is difficult to predict based on the pattern of your weight gain. IF you have an "apple" type body tendency to accumulate visceral fatty deposits, it is possible. If you have a pear like tendency, it s much less likely.