I'm 250lbs and I Want to Get Lipo and a Tummy Tuck. Should I Wait on the Tummy Tuck?

I'm 5'5" and 250lbs. I'm trying to get down to 200lbs. Will lipo and a tummy tuck be ok and help me reach that?

Lose Weight Before Either Lipo Or Tummy Tuck

+2

Neither liposuction nor a tummy tuck will allow you to safely go from 250 to 200 pounds.  You need to be at or near your ideal body weight to obtain a good result from either procedure.  It is a common misconceptioin that these operations are intended for weight loss.

Timing of Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

+2

It would be in your best interests  to reach a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing the procedures you mentioned.  At your current weight the risks of the procedure are greater than they will be at a lower weight. Also, by waiting to have these procedures done you will stand a better chance at achieving aesthetically pleasing results  and potentially avoid the need for further surgery ( if you lose weight after the surgical procedures).

+1

Neither a tummy tuck nor liposuction is something that should be done to lose weight. I think you need to see a medical specialist that can help you lose the weight and when you get down some, then consider seeing a plastic surgeon so they can tell you what you might be a candidate for at some future time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck and liposuction are not designed for weight loss

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, neither liposuction nor a tummy tuck will take you from 250 to 200 pounds.  These procedures do not substitute for weight loss nor do they prevent weight gain.  If diet and exercise fail, then you may consider seeing a bariatric weight loss surgeon in your area for an evaluation. Get several opinions before proceeding.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Lose weight by dieting and exercise - not by liposuction and a tummy tuck

+1

Unfortunately, you need to reduce your weight by dieting and exercise and not by surgery such as liposuction and a tummy tuck. These procedures are not intended nor should they be used as weight loss methods.

Your weight places you in the morbidly obese category where the risks for significant medical and healing problems is considerably increased. It would be best to get down to at least 180 pounds (a BMI of 30) before considering surgery. Not only will your medical risks be reduced but your results will also be much better.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

The power of liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Patients are in a position to alter their weight while plastic surgeons are in a position to alter your shape.  The frustrating thing about weight loss is though your size changes significantly , your shape will remain unchanged .  I usually recommend weight watchers to my patients for weight loss and to learn how to eat healthier. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and lipo

+1

I think at 250lbs and only 5'5" you should really wait until you get down to your goal weight.  Liposuction is not a solution to achieve weight loss per se, and the tummy tuck is always better when the weight is lost.

What Weight Before Tummy Tuck

+1

To have a  good chance to get  good results with low risk, you need to get down to a BMI of 30 or less. That would be 180#. I know that's difficult but the results will be worth it. You are spending a lot of money and accepting pain and risk to get the results. Do everything you can to help with the results. There are no shortcuts.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Weight loss and lipo

+1

No.  Neither lipo nor tummy tuck are appropriate if you are not stable or healthy in your lifestyle or weight. In fact, it is dangerous. Patients who get body contouring before they are appropriate candidate are the ones who may lose their life because of increased risk. Get healthy first.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Cosmetic surgery in the overweight patient

+1

You are morbidly obese and you want someone to cut 50 pounds of skin and fat off of you-instant weight loss. That does not sound like a good idea to me and it should not sound like one to you. Without lifestyle changes this will not work anymore than temporarily wiring your jaws together so you cannot eat. When the wires are removed or you recover from the surgery the weight comes back on with a vengeance. You need to go the diet and exercise route or the bariatric surgery route and the sooner you do so the better it will be for you.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD