Want 250 Grams off Each Breast: 30GG - What Can I Expect to Go Down To?

Hi, im a 30GG cup size. and ive been advised to have 250 grams off each breast (because its better to have too little off and have another op, then to have too much off) im not fat and its all breast tissue, not fat. what can I expect to go down to with 250 grams off each?

Breast reduction

+1

Unfortunately, no one can give you a precise answer to your question.

It is however, very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I have found the use of pictures very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible ( although no system is 100% accurate).

Breast reduction

+1

Hello JaneLucy,

As  already suggested by others return to your Plastic Surgeon and discuss your proposed reduction. 

If you plan to have a reduction to alleviate back, neck and other problems because of the weight of your breasts 250 g. will not make it. Different breast density makes for different tissue weight when removed. Even though we can have a good guess how much tissue we can and plan to remove, it is only a "guess". The same goes for a certain Bra size as different Bra maker have different Cup sizes. 

To make matters worse you really cannot safely "test the waters" with taking off some tissue and come back to take out more tissue. "Refining" the shape and form of a breast maybe safely done but changing substantially the size later is fraught with several possible complications.

My  advice is to re-visit your Surgeon, put your questions, desires down on a piece of paper and ask for clear answers. 

Good luck

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Effects of tissue removal in breast reduction

+1

Unfortunately it is not possible to know or judge the effect of the removal of a certain number of grams of tissue in a breast reduction. The reason is that we don't have a good way to measure preoperative breast size/weight, bra cup sizes vary too much to be effective measures, and a given volume of tissue will have varying weights among different patients. This is similar to the problem of trying to determine breast size by cc's of volume in a breast augmentation with implants. Surgically, it doesn't make sense to go into a reduction operation and keep cutting out tissue until the scale says 250 gms. Even though it is far from exact, it is better to decide what size to end up with and remove the amount of tissue to get there and then find out what that tissue happened to weigh. A good plastic surgeon experienced in breast reduction should have a way to leave the appropriate amount of tissue to achieve a planned size within the limitations of saying what a given size/shape is. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Removal of 250gr Will Not Result In Huge Difference With GG Cup

+1

Even with a small chest size (30), I would not expect the removal of 250 grams from each breast to result in a significant change in cup size, perhaps you would be a 30G or slightly smaller.  If you are doing this because of back pain, etc., you will need to have a larger weight removed.

John Whitt, MD

Breast Reduction - Want 250 Grams off Each Breast: 30GG - What Can I Expect to Go Down To?

+1

Hi JaneLucy,

That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

While there are no absolutes, and all decisions need to be made by you and your own plastic surgeon, there are some general principles with this procedure.  It's ABOUT 150-200 cc per bra cup size for narrower women and at the lower end of the bra sizes (ie, from an AA to an A) but it's more like twice that for broader-shouldered women and at the upper bra sizes.  A GG is basically a 5-D.  A 250 reduction from a GG would, as far as I would be able estimate, reduce you only one or at the most two cup sizes.  While it's true that you can always take more off, whereas you cannot put any tissue back, this approach would take it to an extreme.

Is it possible that you misunderstood?  Maybe more like 1250 grams from each side?

At any rate, my sense is that this would be too small a reduction for you.  I would suggest that you meet with the plastic surgeon again and, if necessary or desirable, seek additional consultations.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS