Can 25 Year Old Silicone Implants Cause Fibromyalgia?

My Dr. says I have fibromyalgia (?). Is this possible and if I have them removed, is the surgery difficult and is the recovery harder than having them put in? I am 59.

Implants have not been shown to cause fibromyalgia

+1
There has been no documented connection between fibromyalgia and breast augmentation. It is possible that any woman, whether with or without implants, could develop this condition. If so and you would like the implants removed, this can certainly be done. Removal is not very painful but the concern, baed on the size of the implants, would be whether you would require a breast lift.

Fibromyalgia and Breast Implants

+1

There has been no scientifically documented relationship between breast implants and fibromyalgia and having your implants removed is not likely to change your disease. Yes your implants can be removed along with all scar capsule. Your recovery may be similar and you are older than your first surgery.

Richard Linderman, MD

Fibromyalgia and implants

+1

There have been a lot of studies reagrding implants and possible causes of diseases, and there does not sem to be an association between the two.

Breast Implants and Fibromyalgia

+1

No device ion the history of mankind has been more extensively studied than the breast implant. More hours went to research the safety of breast implants than that of heart valves, artificial joints or artificial blood vessels. No large scale scientific study has shown a causative correlation or association between breast implants and autoimmune diseases. With the tens of millions of women in the world with breast implants even a small correlation would have shown up years ago.

Your implants can be removed. The operation is pretty straight forward if the implants are intact and the recovery is fairly quick. However, there is no guarantee that your fibromyalgia would get better afterward.

Implant removal and relation to fibromyalgia

+1

Generally implant removal is significantly less painful than insertion. There are no known scientific studies which suggest that fibromyalgia and implants are linked. This means that removal will not likely result in any significant improvement.