What Complications Can I Have from Removing a Nasal Implant?

25 year old asian female: silicone implant removal. 4 years ago I had an L shaped silicone implant inserted into my nose in order to heighten my bridge and make my nasal tip appear more defined. That was the only procedure I had. However, I now want it removed. If I were to remove it, would my nose sag due to the skin having been stretched? Are there any other complications with removing a silicone implant? (I have heard, for example, that the nasal skin/tissue may shrink a lot resulting in the nose turning upwards). Thanks in advance.

Removal of Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

Your skin will probably contract without problems. Complications are unlikely, but why are you removing the implant? You can place cartilage grafts at the time of implant removal.  I usually recommend the use of the patient's own tissue at the time of primary rhinoplasty.

Silicone implant removal from nose

+1

Over a 4 year period, if a modest sized implant was placed without complications, you should have excellent skin shrinkage and return to a relatively normal pre-operative appearance following removal of the implant. If, however, your implant is particularly large or the procedure was complicated, it is possible that you will have mild skin laxity and/or an undesireable appearance..

Complications of removal of nasal silicone implant.

+1

There should be return of your nose to the shape it was before though with a little more sagging. You can prevent that by placing cartilage grafts where the silicone was. In more than 35 years of doing this, I have never had any infection or serious complication from using this. You can have slight asymmetry however.

Removal of SIlicone Implant

+1

Hi,

Removal of the implant may result in your nose going back to the way it was before the implant. There could also be some scar tissue that surfaces after the removal.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS