2.5 Weeks Post Op BA. Why Won't my Breast Come Together when I Massage Them? Normal? (photo)

I'm 24yrs old, 5"2, 110 lbs. Ill be 3 weeks post op this Friday. I had 310cc saline done under the muscle. I have a question about massaging my breast. Is it normal to be afraid not because of being uncomfortable but more so afraid to pop them!? How do I know the pressure I use is too much? I usually push them down, then from the side squeeze them together almost like trying to make cleavage. Is it normal that they don't touch? Will they ever!!!?? Am I massaging them wrong?

Breast Augmentation 2.5 weeks Post-Op

+1

Yes, it is normal to be firm and swollen, the implants will not move easily for at least 6 weeks after surgery.

Key West Plastic Surgeon

Normality 2 weeks post-op

+1

In submuscular breast augmentation procedure the pockets mat not have been medially dissected far enough. You should consult with your surgeon regarding the recommended massage technique.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Cleavage after augmentation

+1

can be improved with massage and hopefully you have reviewed it with your surgeon.  If he/she is one that doesn't believe in it, then you will have to decide if you wish to do something beyond what is recommended by your doctor.  I personally use massage for all of my augmentations.  My patients can push as hard as they can tolerate and do this several times a day, holding it for 15-30 seconds.  As for a natural cleavage, your anatomy determines whether you will have one or not and the implant can only do so much to help with that.  Hopefully you will gain the mobility to allow a push-up bra to create adequate cleavage.  By the way, the protocol my patients use is for smooth implants only.

Curtis Wong, MD

Massage after Breast Augmentation

+1

Though not all plastic surgeons suggest it, massage after augmentation may be helpful. The massage can be started as soon as a few days to a week after surgery and done to comfort. It is highly unlikely to damage an implant from massage. As for cleavage, that is mainly determined by your pre-op anatomy, meaning if you didn't have it before you may not have it after.  At three weeks after, however, it's too soon to tell. Best wishes. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants at 2.5 weeks after surgery

+1

First, breast implants are very durable it is extremely unlikley that you could pop them with general use.  As for massage, you should review the massage techniques that your surgeon suggests with your surgeon.

Implant Massage Exercise

+1

Every surgeon has his/her preferred way of massage (if they favor massage). There is no wrong way or right way.  Follow your surgeon's advice.  It is very unlikely that you will rupture the implant performing these exercises.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Why Won't my Breast Come Together when I Massage Them?

+1

As you can imagine, online is not the place where specific instructions as to how hard to massage can be given. This is one for your surgeon, in the office. 

In over 25 years I have never had a patient rupture an implant from massage, so I would put that low on your anxiety list. 

As to position, without more photos it is hard to comment. The implant should be positioned behind the nipple and areola. When patients' own breasts are widely spaced, implants will not correct that. With under the muscle implants, the medial position is limited by where the pectoral muscle attaches to the breastbone, and you can see where that is on the photo you attached. 

Thank you for your question, best wishes

2.5 Weeks Post Op BA. Why Won't my Breast Come Together when I Massage Them? Normal?

+1

Your anatomy of the chest, the medial amount of dissection leads to the wider appearance between the breasts. Best to return to your chosen surgeon to learn the exact types of massages and receive an explanation as to the wide cleavage result. 

Breast Augmentation and Massage

+1

This early after surgery, it is very difficult to tell given the early tension on the skin that can occur. I do not generally recommend implant massage until after the first month. Contact your surgeon and ask these details since these detailed instructions vary by surgeon.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Normal post-operative course for BA

+1

Thanks for your questions and photos, NurseBri.  Your photos show a great result so far for about three weeks post-BA.  It will take a few months for them to settle and come closer together, and don't worry about "popping" the implants, they're plenty strong.  They even have stopped a knife from stabbing a heart in Russia!  Keep massaging them as you have been and they should improve over the next few months.  I hope this helps and good luck.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD